21.2441, Diss: Disc Analysis/Socioling: Munsie: 'Working Between Cultures: ...'

Wed Jun 2 16:36:57 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2441. Wed Jun 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2441, Diss: Disc Analysis/Socioling: Munsie: 'Working Between Cultures: ...'

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Mfon Udoinyang <mfon at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Jun-2010
From: Jennifer Munsie < dr.jennifer.munsie at hotmail.com >
Subject: Working Between Cultures: Expatriates' management of the self through intercultural change

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:34:58
From: Jennifer Munsie [dr.jennifer.munsie at hotmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2441.html&submissionid=2636517&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Manchester
Program: Department of Psychology
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2010

Author: Jennifer Munsie

Dissertation Title: Working Between Cultures: Expatriates' management of the
self through intercultural change

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Sociolinguistics

Dissertation Director(s):
Ivan Leudar
Wes Sharrock

Dissertation Abstract:

This thesis investigates the phenomenon of acculturation of a particular
migrant category, expatriates, as a member's phenomenon. Studying people at
the interface of cross-cultural contact show people doing a variety of
regulating activities with language. The pragmatics of talk and stories
done in situated interview contexts about being 'expatriate' are the unit of
analysis. My aim with this research is to study self and culture
differently; i.e. empirically, through a method underpinned by a
theoretical framework which assumes a dialogical ontology of self. The
research contained in this paper benefits from this theoretical
underpinning by orienting the analysis of autobiographical textual data
toward the polyphonic nature of the subjective positioning or 'polyphony'.
Analysis on the acculturation of expatriates benefits from this theory by
orienting my analysis of autobiographical textual data toward the
polyphonic nature of the subjective positioning. To accomplish this I use a
multi-variant methodological framework which combines Ethnomethodology
(EM), Conversation Analysis (CA), Discourse Analysis (DA) and Membership
Categorisation Analysis (MCA). The methodological framework I use in this
paper includes an extension on Sacks' (1992) work on stories embedded
within conversation. The data used are the situated narrative activities of
people sharing their experiences with others on internet-based Expat
Message Boards as well as in interviews. In the context of internet-based
message board and interviews, participants make certain contingencies
relevant to their stories as 'expats'. The participant couples coordinate
their activities in order to tell of a collective story. I argue that the
achieved similarity or variability of topics and character positions within
interaction is evidence of dialogism in subjectivity and inter-subjectivity
in action by showing the ways in which people orient their stories either
in response or in anticipation to others. I aim to show the ways in which
culture modulates, is debated, negotiated and/or re-created among them
through their situated activity; allowing me to explicate the dialogicity
of self through acculturative narrative accounts.