21.2470, FYI: LSA 2011 Linguistic Institute: Call for Workshops

Fri Jun 4 19:28:04 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2470. Fri Jun 04 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2470, FYI: LSA 2011 Linguistic Institute: Call for Workshops

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Rachelle Felzien <rachelle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Jun-2010
From: Martha Palmer < lsa2011 at colorado.edu >

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:26:49
From: Martha Palmer [lsa2011 at colorado.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2470.html&submissionid=2636614&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

LSA 2011 Linguistic Institute: Call for Workshop and Conference Proposals

The 2011 Linguistic Institute will take place July 5-August 5, 2011 on the
campus of the University of Colorado at Boulder, with the theme 'Language
in the World'. The Institute focus will be on interdisciplinary,
empirically based approaches to language that acknowledge its dual nature,
as both a real-time interactional strategy and a product of interaction;
see: http://verbs.colorado.edu/LSA2011/.

We anticipate that a number of workshops will be offered over the weekends
of the Institute as well as on Wednesdays, a day with no classes, and we
are requesting initial, informal proposals for potential workshops by July
1, 2010.  We are happy to host a meeting of a regular conference or of a
one-time-only workshop, particularly workshops that are consistent with the
Institute theme.   As at previous Institutes, the general assumption is
that workshop funding is the responsibility of their organizers and that
workshops have no registration fees or minimal registration fees to allow
them to be maximally accessible to Institute participants, who are
primarily graduate students.

The proposal should contain the following information:

- the title of the workshop
- the name of the sponsoring organization (if applicable)
- the names, institutional affiliations, and e-mail addresses of the organizers
- the proposed length of the workshop or conference (e.g. half-day, one
full day, two full days)
- the format of the event (e.g. method of selecting speakers; length of
talks and discussion; use of commentators)
- any available information about the presenters
- a brief one paragraph description of the workshop
- expected number of participants
- any special facility needs
- anticipated sources of funding

Please note that July 1, 2010 is not a formal deadline for workshop
proposals. You may propose a workshop at  a later date. Furthermore,
proposing a workshop at this time does not obligate you to actually hold it
at the 2011 Institute, although we will request a firm commitment by
November 15, 2010, and it may be difficult to accommodate proposals
received after this date.  This is an information-gathering process rather
than a review process.  Workshop proposals will not be subjected to outside
evaluation; however, should we receive more proposals than we can
accommodate, we will select among them according to the date submitted and
fit with the overall Institute.

Although, as mentioned, workshops should be self-funded, the Institute
Executive Committee will pursue modest additional funding to support
workshops as part of a larger effort to obtain funding for other Institute
events; thus, some concrete information on what workshops may take place
will be very helpful as we seek this funding. By contacting us prior to
July 1, you will not only help the Institute organizers, but also
facilitate your own workshop. The more lead time we have concerning
potential workshops, the more likely they are to be accommodated, at your
desired times and dates, in the ideal physical spaces, and the more likely
that some subvention can be obtained. Workshops proposed by July 1 will
have priority in terms of scheduling and resources.

Please submit your workshop proposals to lsa2011-exec at colorado.edu by July
1, 2010.   Questions about workshops may also be directed to this e-mail
address.

                     Pragmatics
                     Semantics
                     Sociolinguistics