21.2515, Qs: Spanish Lang Presidential and Electoral TV Debates

Mon Jun 7 16:35:13 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2515. Mon Jun 07 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2515, Qs: Spanish Lang Presidential and Electoral TV Debates

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 06-Jun-2010
From: Marc Thomas < marthoma at gmx.de >

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:32:09
From: Marc Thomas [marthoma at gmx.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2515.html&submissionid=2637137&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List subscribers,

My name is Marc Thomas and I am a university student of Hispanistics
and Politics in Mainz, Germany.

At the moment I'm preparing to write my Master's thesis about speech
acts of dissent in Spanish and Latin American presidential debates or,
more extensively, in electoral debates in the Spanish language.

As up to now I could unfortunately find only a few transcripts and/or
video clips of those presidential debates that took place in considerable
number in the Spanish-speaking world throughout the last couple of
years. So, I refer to you as the community of linguists to ask for your
help.

I'm especially interested in the debate between Felipe González and
José María Aznar in 1993 and was not able to play the flash-video on
http://www.rtve.es/elecciones/ (video titled "Debates entre González y
Aznar"); it just won't stream. Can anyone of you give me another
source for this video or, even better, a textual transcription?

Moreover, I am still looking for electoral debates and their transcripts
from Latin America, chiefly debates with only two participants such as
the debate between Sebastián Piñera and Michelle Bachelet (Chile) in
2006, which was not too hard to find on the internet. But more debates
took place, such as Mockus vs. Santos (Colombia) some days ago or
Piñera vs. Frei (Chile, too) in January 2010.

If anyone could help me find videos and/or transcripts of these and
other such debates, that would be very kind of you, because at the
moment, I am a little desperate for not being able to widen my analysis
corpus.

Best regards, and thank you so much for your answers,
Marc Thomas

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Pragmatics