21.2539, Jobs: English; Applied Ling: Asst/Assoc Prof, United Arab Emirates U

Tue Jun 8 19:51:53 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2539. Tue Jun 08 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2539, Jobs: English; Applied Ling: Asst/Assoc Prof, United Arab Emirates U

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 06-Jun-2010
From: Steve Bird < SBird at uaeu.ac.ae >
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics: Assistant/Associate Professor, United Arab Emirates University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 15:49:43
From: Steve Bird [SBird at uaeu.ac.ae]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2539.html&submissionid=2637074&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: United Arab Emirates University
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Web Address: http://www.fhss.uaeu.ac.ae/Humanities/Linguistics/About.html

Job Rank: Asst/Assoc Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The Department of Linguistics, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences,
United Arab Emirates University invites applications for one post at the
Assistant or Associate Professor level in our expanding Applied
Linguistics/TESOL undergraduate program, to commence in August, 2010 or as
soon as possible thereafter, subject to final budget approval. We seek
applicants with a specialization and experience in English language teacher
education/Applied Linguistics, and a strong record of research publications.

Duties include: teaching undergraduate (and possibly graduate) level
Applied Linguistics courses within the Department of Linguistics; engaging
in research; supervising student research projects; advising students;
serving on committees. Teaching load will be 4 courses per semester (12
hours per week).

The ideal candidates will have:
-  An earned PhD by August, 2010 in Applied Linguistics/TESOL
-  Substantial prior ESL teacher training experience
-  A strong record of research publications in internationally peer
reviewed journals focusing on TESOL or Applied Linguistics
-  Ability to teach a range of undergraduate courses in TESOL
-  University-level teaching experience.

Compensation includes competitive tax-free salaries, free housing in
off-campus villas and apartments, a comprehensive health plan, education
allowance for children, annual return travel to home destination, and an
end-of-service gratuity.

UAE University is the largest and most comprehensive federal university in
the United Arab Emirates. It has some 12,000 students, 800 faculty members
and offers well over 70 programs at all levels through ten Faculties, of
which the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is the largest.

Beginning in the September 2010, the University will begin occupying its
handsome new campus, equipped with state of the art educational technology
in all classrooms and laboratories. The University is developing rapidly
into a research-intensive, globally recognized institution, and has high
expectations for the research capacity of its faculty members. English is
the language of instruction.

The city of Al Ain, where the university is located, is properly described
as a garden city of palm trees, grassy parks and low rise buildings set in
the mountainous inland region of the UAE. Al Ain is a very safe and clean
city with a cosmopolitan population. The larger cities of Abu Dhabi and
Dubai are an easy 1.5 hour drive on modern highways.

Send a letter of application and curriculum vitae with contact details of
three referees by email to Dr Steve Bird at the email address below.

For more information about our Department and Program, please visit
http://www.fhss.uaeu.ac.ae/Humanities/Linguistics/About.html

Application Deadline: 30-Nov-2011

Email Address for Applications: SBird at uaeu.ac.ae
Contact Information: