21.2543, Sum: Good Textbook for Introductory Phonology

Wed Jun 9 13:52:03 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2543. Wed Jun 09 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2543, Sum: Good Textbook for Introductory Phonology

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Jun-2010
From: Marina Gorlach < mgorlach at hotmail.com >
Subject: Good Textbook for Introductory Phonology

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:46:18
From: Marina Gorlach [mgorlach at hotmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2543.html&submissionid=2637494&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 21.2337

Dear all,

I got a lot of responses to my query on a good introductory text to
phonology, which I summarized and wanted to share with you, as
promised.

The list of books mentioned in your replies (in alphabetic order) is the
following. The numbers in parenthesis show that the same title
appeared in several e-mails:
Collins, B., & Mees, I. Practical Phonetics and Phonology
Davenport & Hannahs, Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology
Goldsmith, J. (Ed.) Phonological Theory: The Essential Readings
Gussenhoven, C., & Jakobs, H. Understanding Phonology (2)
Gut, U. Introduction to English Phonetics and Phonology
Hayes, B. Introductory Phonology (3)
Justice, P. Relevant Linguistics
McCarthy, J. Phonology
McMahon, A. An Introduction to English Phonology
Nathan, G. Phonology: A Cognitive Grammar Introduction
Odden, D. Introducing Phonology (5)
German:
Féry, C. Phonologie des Deutschen: Eine optimalitätstheoretische
Einführung
Hall, T.A. Phonologie (2)

Some of the texts evoked conflicting opinions by different respondents
- highly praised by some and perceived as imperfect by others. I looked
them all up and ordered several examination copies, so my choice is
not finalized yet. It looks like Hayes and Odden lead, but, by some
professors who tried them in class, they are not without their little flaws.

My major conclusion from the numbers of e-mails I received and the
genuine interest most of them expressed is that we, linguists, are
teachers, and sharing our opinions on the books we use is very
important for linguistics as a discipline and its future.

I truly appreciate your help and feel much more confident and
enthusiastic about this course. I want to express my sincere gratitude
to (in chronological order of the replies):
Cathryn Donohue, Chen Weiheng, Siddharth Chakrabarti, Laura
Downing, Sabina Ulsamer, Charles Marfo, Ruben Van De Vijver, Kay-
Michael Wuerzner, Eva-Maria Wunder, Geoffrey Nathan, Nadia
Seemungal, Martin Mangei, Michal Temkin Martinez, Rebecca Moreton
(and her son Elliott), Lynn Burley (thanks for the syllabus), Sean
Gleason, Anne Marie Devlin.

Hope you are enjoying your summer break and are looking forward to
teaching our beloved linguistics in the fall,

Marina Gorlach
Associate Professor
Metropolitan State College of Denver

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology