21.1135, Support: Pragmatics;Semantics;Syntax: PhD Student, U. of Konstanz, Germany

Mon Mar 8 18:05:58 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-1135. Mon Mar 08 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.1135, Support: Pragmatics;Semantics;Syntax: PhD Student, U. of Konstanz, Germany

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Mar-2010
From: Doris Penka < doris.penka at uni-konstanz.de >
Subject: Pragmatics, Semantics, Syntax: PhD Student, University of Konstanz, Germany

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:04:45
From: Doris Penka [doris.penka at uni-konstanz.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-1135.html&submissionid=2615674&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: University of Konstanz
Department: Department of Linguistics
Web Address: http://ling.uni-konstanz.de/pages/index-en.html

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Pragmatics; Semantics; Syntax

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Konstanz invites applications
for two PhD Positions in linguistics.

The positions are available from 1 June 2010, for a period of three years.

The research positions are part of the project "Decomposition of comparative and
superlative quantificational noun phrases at the syntax/semantics interface"
funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). The aim of the project is to
develop a fully compositional analysis of the syntax/semantics interface of noun
phrases involving comparative or superlative morphology. It applies methods from
formal semantics, syntax and pragmatics, as well as empirical methods and corpus
studies.

We invite applications for two positions (TV-L E13, 50%, according to the German
public service pay scale, corresponding to 1514 EUR - 1681 EUR per month), to be
filled by two doctoral students for a period of 3 years. The successful
applicants are expected to enroll in the PhD programme in linguistics at the
University of Konstanz and to prepare a PhD dissertation on a topic related to
the project.

The ideal candidate will have prior experience in formal semantics, and ideally
in syntax and/or pragmatics. Applicants need to have a master's degree or
equivalent in linguistics or a closely related field. Good command of English is
required.

Candidates are requested to apply with the following documents:
- cover letter describing research interests
- CV
- a writing sample
- letters of recommendation or names and addresses of people we could contact
E-mail applications using pdf-documents are welcome.

Applications received by April 15, 2010 will receive full consideration.
However, later applications may be considered as well until the positions have
been filled.

Application Deadline: 08-Aug-2010

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Dr Doris Penka
	Zukunftskolleg, Box 216
	Universitaet Konstanz
	Konstanz 78457
	Germany

Web Address for Applications: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/news/index.php?cont=stellausw&seite=2010/040&id=1

Contact Information:
	Dr Doris Penka
	doris.penka at uni-konstanz.de

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $65,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Space Fund
Drive 2010 and join us for a great journey!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2010/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.