21.1265, FYI: TEI-2010: Call for Workshop/Tutorial Proposals

Mon Mar 15 02:13:33 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-1265. Sun Mar 14 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.1265, FYI: TEI-2010: Call for Workshop/Tutorial Proposals

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-Mar-2010
From: Piotr Banski < bansp at o2.pl >
Subject: TEI-2010: Call for Workshop/Tutorial Proposals

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:11:57
From: Piotr Banski [bansp at o2.pl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-1265.html&submissionid=2617394&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Call for pre-conference workshop and tutorial proposals

TEI Applied: Digital Texts and Language Resources

2010 Annual Meeting of the TEI Consortium

http://ling.unizd.hr/~tei2010/

- Meeting venue: University of Zadar, Croatia
- Meeting dates: Thu 11 November to Sun 14 November, 2010
- Workshop dates: Mon 08 November to Wed 10 November, 2010
- Workshop proposals due: Wed 31 March 2010

Traditionally, the TEI Conference and Members' Meeting has been preceded by
educational or research workshops. The goal of these workshops is to give
members of the TEI community an opportunity to learn more about the use of
the TEI markup under the guidance of experienced instructors and
practitioners. In the past such workshops have ranged from a basic
introduction to the use of TEI markup to more specialized sessions on
specific aspects of the TEI or its use in specific domains. They have
ranged in length from a single morning or afternoon to a maximum of two
days. Workshops are run on a cost-recovery basis: a separate fee is charged
of participants that is intended to cover the costs of running the workshop.

We are now soliciting proposals for workshops for the 2010 Conference and
Members' Meeting, to be held November 8-14 at University of Zadar, Croatia.
Workshops are distinct from other conference activities, such as papers,
sessions, and Special Interest Group meetings and we have tentatively
reserved three days for them. These workshops should be educational in
focus or involve hands-on work with a research problem. They should propose
topics that are likely to be of interest to recognizable segments of the
TEI community.

Possible topics include:

- An Introduction to TEI
- TEI and libraries
- Editorial practice and TEI
- Extending and customizing TEI
- Introduction to the ODD system
- Using TEI with other standards and markup languages
- Images and TEI
- Use and development of tools and processes

Proposals addressing other topics are welcome and encouraged. If you are
interested in proposing a workshop for the 2010 Members Meeting and
Conference, please email meeting at tei-c.org by 31 March 2010. Expressions of
interest should include as much as possible of the following information
(the committee is willing to work with proposers in developing their
proposals):

- A proposed topic
- A rationale explaining why this topic is likely to be of interest to the
TEI community
- A proposed instructor or slate of instructors including brief discussion
of relevant experience
- Method of instruction
- Preferred length for the workshop
- A preliminary budget of your anticipated costs (if any). Organisational
and infrastructure costs (e.g. coffee breaks and the like) will be
determined later in conjunction with the local organising committee.

Proposals will be evaluated by the program committee primarily on the basis
of their likely appeal to the TEI community, the quality of the proposed
instructors and method of instruction, and cost. The committee will work
with selected organizers after this date to refine the details of their
workshops.

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     General Linguistics

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $65,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Space Fund
Drive 2010 and join us for a great journey!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2010/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.