21.1405, Diss: Lang Acq: Kapia: 'The Role of Syntax and Pragmatics in the...'

Tue Mar 23 15:41:10 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-1405. Tue Mar 23 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.1405, Diss: Lang Acq: Kapia: 'The Role of Syntax and Pragmatics in the...'

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Di Wdzenczny <di at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Mar-2010
From: Enkeleida Kapia < ekapia at bu.edu >
Subject: The Role of Syntax and Pragmatics in the Structure and Acquisition of Clitic Doubling in Albanian

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:39:47
From: Enkeleida Kapia [ekapia at bu.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-1405.html&submissionid=2619994&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: Boston University
Program: Applied Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2010

Author: Enkeleida Kapia

Dissertation Title: The Role of Syntax and Pragmatics in the Structure and
Acquisition of Clitic Doubling in Albanian

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

Dissertation Director(s):
Paul A Hagstrom
Shanley Allen
Cathy O'Connor
Peter Alrenga
Lydia White

Dissertation Abstract:

This dissertation investigates clitic doubling of both dative and
accusative objects in adult and child language. It reports on three
experimental studies designed to discover the specific distributional
properties of this phenomenon, with particular attention to the effect of
'rheme' and 'kontrast,' two distinct concepts often collapsed as
'focus'.

Study I investigates the patterns of clitic doubling through
grammaticality judgment data from adults. Findings show that clitic
doubling of dative objects is obligatory, while clitic doubling of
accusative objects is governed by pragmatic factors. If the object is
topical, clitic doubling is obligatory. If the object is rhematic and/or
kontrastive, clitic doubling is prohibited. In addition, results suggest that
clitic doubling of accusative objects is not differentially affected by
rheme and kontrast. Study II answers the same research questions as
Study I in elicited production data and serves as a baseline for Study III.
Results from Study II confirm those of Study I. Study III investigates clitic
doubling of both objects with children 2;0-4;0 years in elicited
production data. Generalized Estimating Equation models show that
children produce clitic doubling of dative objects at adult-like rates from
age 2;0. However, they do not reach adult-like performance with
accusative objects even by age 4;0. Children double topical accusative
objects as adults do, but they insert a clitic about 20% of the time with
rhematic/kontrastive accusative objects, which adults never do. This
reveals either an underdeveloped pragmatic system in children or an
underdeveloped syntax-pragmatics interface: either children take more
referents to be given/old than adults do or the interface between
syntax and pragmatics fails to accurately read the signals from the
pragmatic system. The results presented here expand the literature of
clitic doubling with data from dative clitics and offer support for the
modular nature of language with syntax present from age 2;0 and
pragmatics  or the interface between pragmatics and syntax not fully
matured until after age 4;0.

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $65,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Space Fund
Drive 2010 and join us for a great journey!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2010/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.