21.2247, Sum: Gender, Sexuality, and Language on the Internet

Mon May 17 18:53:46 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2247. Mon May 17 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2247, Sum: Gender, Sexuality, and Language on the Internet

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-May-2010
From: James Davis < james.davis at aluggageexitinsits.net >
Subject: Gender, Sexuality, and Language on the Internet

Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:51:59
From: James Davis [james.davis at aluggageexitinsits.net]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2247.html&submissionid=2634034&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 21.2002

I would like to thank Theresa Heyd, Patty Davies, Brian W. King, Jamie
Findlay, Sandra Beyermann, Jannis Androutsopoulos, and Rowena
Viney for their responses to my earlier query requesting information
about gender and sexuality and their relation to language, especially
on the internet.

The information I received helped me find several good resources I had
missed about the topic, with respondents directing me towards work by
Deborah Cameron, Don Kulick, Celia Kitzinger, Victoria Land, Marisol
del-Teso Craviotto, Bridge Markland, and Susan Herring.

The work by Herring, Cameron, and Kulick have been especially useful
to my research.

Here is a list of a few of the full references I have found:

Cameron, D. and D. Kulick (eds.) (2006) The Language and Sexuality
Reader. London: Routledge.

Cameron, D. and D. Kulick (2005) "Identity Crisis?" Language and
Communication 25: 107-25.

Cameron, D. and D. Kulick (2003) Language and Sexuality.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Kulick, D. (2000) "Gay and Lesbian Language." Annual Review of
Anthropology 29: 243-285.

I was also directed to one link
(http://www.slis.indiana.edu/faculty/herring/pubs.html), which is
extensive and very handy.