21.2251, Qs: The Quran: Romanized, Phonetic Transcription

Tue May 18 17:47:15 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2251. Tue May 18 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2251, Qs: The Quran: Romanized, Phonetic Transcription

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-May-2010
From: Muhammad-Reza Fakhr-Rohani < fxr41 at yahoo.co.uk >
Subject: The Quran: Romanized, Phonetic Transcription

Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 13:45:28
From: Muhammad-Reza Fakhr-Rohani [fxr41 at yahoo.co.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2251.html&submissionid=2634815&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear linguists and scholars,

Are you aware of any phonetic/phonemic transcriptions of the Quran, that is,
a Romanized transcription of the Quran? By a Romanized transcription of the
Quran, it is meant a version of the Quran in which the Classical Arabic text is
represented by means of the transliteration alphabet used for Arabic, Persian,
Urdu, and so on.

I do already know that there are a number of transliterated versions of the
Quran. It was after examining at least ten transliterated versions of the Quran
that I decided to ask the linguists to provide me with some further information
regarding transliterated versions. Briefly, almost none of the existing
transliterations of the Quran can represent the subtleties of its Classical
Arabic reading, especially according to tajweed.

I have started up rendering a transcription of the Quran in Roman script with
the conventional and established diacritics added. In this way, one would
need just some basic knowledge of Arabic phonology to be able to read out
the Quran, as represented in a version of the Roman script.

If you could bring to my attention any transliterated versions that you know
of, I would appreciate it. I would be grateful for your contribution and look
forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

With best wishes,
Dr. Muhammad-Reza Fakhr-Rohani
fxr41 at yahoo.co.uk

Linguistic Field(s): Translation