21.2328, Qs: Bi/Multilingualism and Specific Genres of Writing

Mon May 24 15:50:02 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2328. Mon May 24 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2328, Qs: Bi/Multilingualism and Specific Genres of Writing

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 24-May-2010
From: Deborah Chua < debchua2004 at yahoo.com.sg >

Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 11:47:30
From: Deborah Chua [debchua2004 at yahoo.com.sg]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2328.html&submissionid=2635334&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List subscribers,

I have a question which I was wondering if anyone could help me with.

Would anyone know of any studies that empricially examine
bi/multilingualism in relation to specific genres of writing (e.g. narrative
writing, expository/academic writing, etc.)?

Most studies on multilingualism, I notice, are on spoken language or
specific linguistic features. Then there are also those that look at how
literacy development (i.e. reading and writing in its most general sense,
like orthograhy, etc.) in young children can be helped or hindered by
developing that literacy in more than one language, aka multilingually.
There are also many studies, most of which are not directly centred on
multilingualism or do not even mention the term, 'multiligualism,' in their
discourse, but which make speculative claims about problems faced in
say, academic writing, to English not being the first language of its
writer or to interference from the writer's 'other' language(s).

But I do not seem to be able to find any research that empirically
examines bi/multilingualism in relation to a particular genre of writing? If
anyone knows of any such studies, I would appreciate any references,
because I'm interested to know how previous research along this line
was undertaken, i.e. presuming that there is previous research along
this line?

Many thanks in advance.

Deborah Chua

                     Discourse Analysis