21.2401, Qs: Survey: American English Native Speakers Needed

Sat May 29 19:46:02 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2401. Sat May 29 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2401, Qs: Survey: American English Native Speakers Needed

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 26-May-2010
From: Attila Cserép < attila.cserep at yahoo.com >

Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 15:44:46
From: Attila Cserép [attila.cserep at yahoo.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2401.html&submissionid=2635721&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am looking for native speakers of American English to complete online
surveys on English idioms (See Idioms 1a and 1b and Idioms 2 below)
that I have prepared as part of my research. I wish to write an article. I
am mainly interested in intuition, no expert knowledge is required.

Idioms 1:

The questions ask you to provide the meaning that you think a
particular word has in an expression. Example: "When the missing
money was noticed, he chose to disappear rather than face the music."
Music: ______________, if the given word has no meaning, write "No
meaning." There are 106 questions in the survey, split into two equal
parts: 1a and 1b. It should take about 20 minutes to complete one part.

Idioms 2:

The questions ask you to choose from 4 options to provide the
meaning that you think a particular word or sequence of words has in
an expression. Example: "When the missing money was noticed, he
chose to disappear rather than face the music."

Music:
Option A - Melody
Option B - Consequences of one's actions
Option C - No meaning
Option D - Opportunity

It will take about 30 minutes to complete the 96 questions of the survey.

It does not matter which survey you do first. To access the surveys
click on the links below:
Idioms 1a: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SPQDL8Y
Idioms 1b: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SJ8BH2K
Idioms 2: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6YNKGKQ