21.4381, Qs: L2 Lang Acq: Advanced Learners' Dictionaries

Tue Nov 2 16:51:55 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4381. Tue Nov 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4381, Qs: L2 Lang Acq: Advanced Learners' Dictionaries

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 29-Oct-2010
From: Julia Miller [julia.miller at adelaide.edu.au]
Subject: L2 Lang Acq: Advanced Learners' Dictionaries

Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:49:12
From: Julia Miller [julia.miller at adelaide.edu.au]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4381.html&submissionid=3477714&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am doing research for my thesis on monolingual advanced learners'
dictionaries in English and would be grateful for suggestions from
colleagues of the titles of monolingual advanced learners' dictionaries
in other languages intended for advanced non-native speaking
learners of those languages.

The topic of the thesis is the coverage given by English learners'
dictionaries to English idioms, and whether such coverage is relevant
to learners of English as an L2 in Australia.

I am also including a brief section on learners' dictionaries in other
languages, e.g. German dictionaries written entirely in German and
designed for people who want to learn German as a second or foreign
language. This is where I would value suggestions by LINGUIST List
colleagues.

I do not have many other examples of learners' dictionaries in
languages other than English. I have looked online but have only found
the "Dictionnaire du français - reférénce, apprentissage" (1999) (Le
Robert and CLE International). I'm hoping that LINGUIST List
subscribers might give me some ideas and titles.

Thank you very much,
Julia Miller

                     Language Acquisition
                     Lexicography