21.4385, Jobs: Historical Ling; Germanic Languages: Researcher, Goethe U

Tue Nov 2 17:19:31 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4385. Tue Nov 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4385, Jobs: Historical Ling; Germanic Languages: Researcher, Goethe U

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 02-Nov-2010
From: Jost Gippert [gippert at em.uni-frankfurt.de]
Subject: Historical Linguistics; Germanic Languages: Researcher, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Germany

Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 13:17:48
From: Jost Gippert [gippert at em.uni-frankfurt.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4385.html&submissionid=3478279&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Johann Wolfgang Goethe University
Department: Comparative Linguistics
Job Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Web Address: http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/english/index.html
Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: Historical Linguistics; Germanic Languages

Required Language(s): Germanic

The Hessian research funding program LOEWE recently approved the research
center 'Digital Humanities' at Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt
am Main. It is devoted to improve scientific networking between humanities
and computer science. This includes the development and evaluation of new
approaches to the automatic analysis, annotation and further processing of
artifacts in the humanities. In this context we offer the position of a

Research Assistant
(E 13 TV-G-U)

starting on 2011-01-01 until 2013-12-31.

The position belongs to the subproject "Linguistic Relations: Historical
Interrelations of Old Germanic Languages": The historical interrelations
between the documented Old Germanic languages are to be examined by a
systematic comparison of the Gothic bible translation with the
corresponding Old Saxon and Old High German translations. For this it is
necessary to develop an annotation system that allows correlating the word
forms in the corpora of the three languages, which already exist in
electronic form. It will be necessary to check the reconstructability of a
common precursor for every incident, covering all possible exact cognates
within the three corpora. The goals are concrete conclusions about the
individual grades of diversification of the languages as well as
investigating for the first time how precisely the results gained by
statistical methods reflect historic reality retrieved by linguistic facts.

The work within the project is supposed to lead to a doctoral dissertation
within the timeframe given. The candidate for this position is expected to
hold a university degree in Comparative or Historical Linguistics.

Review of applications will begin on November 17, 2010, and continue until
the position is filled. E-mail inquiries may be addressed to Prof. Gippert
at the e-mail address listed.

Goethe University is an affirmative action, equal-opportunity employer.

Application Deadline: 17-Nov-2010
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Prof. Dr. Jost Gippert
	Goethe-Universitaet
	Institut fuer Linguistik/Vergleichende Sprachwissenschaft
	Campus Bockenheim, Hauspostfach 171
	Frankfurt am Main 60054
	Germany
Email Address for Applications: gippert at em.uni-frankfurt.de