21.4399, Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, The U of New Mexico

Wed Nov 3 16:09:04 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4399. Wed Nov 03 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4399, Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, The U of New Mexico

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 02-Nov-2010
From: Sherman Wilcox [wilcox at unm.edu]
Subject: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, The University of New Mexico, NM, USA

Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:07:11
From: Sherman Wilcox [wilcox at unm.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4399.html&submissionid=3478296&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: The University of New Mexico
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: New Mexico, USA
Web Address: http://www.unm.edu/jobs/
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics

The Department of Linguistics seeks applicants for an appointment as
Assistant Professor of Linguistics at the University of New Mexico (UNM).
This is a probationary appointment leading to a tenure decision. The
position is contingent upon final budgetary approval. Appointment will
begin in August 2011. The Ph.D. must be in hand prior to appointment.
Responsibilities will include teaching in the areas of specialization at
the undergraduate and graduate level, graduate student mentoring, and
service. Competitive salary. UNM provides a diversified package of benefits
including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM
offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent
education programs. For a more complete explanation of the benefits, please
go to http://hr.unm.edu/ and click on the Benefits link. The Department of
Linguistics at UNM specializes in cognitive-functional approaches to the
study of language, including corpus and empirically-based studies,
cross-linguistic research, and typology. We have special strength in Native
American linguistics and language revitalization, the study of signed
languages, and Spanish linguistics. The Navajo Language Program is housed
in the department, as is the Signed Language Interpreting Program. We also
have close ties with the Hispanic Linguistics Program in the Department of
Spanish & Portuguese. For further information on the department, please see
our website http://www.unm.edu/~linguist.

Minimum qualifications: Ph.D. by August 2011 in Linguistics or a
closely-related field; primary specialization in sociolinguistics.

Preferred qualifications: (a) secondary specialization in
phonology/phonetics; (b) research and teaching interest in languages of the
Southwest; (c) excellence in scholarship in areas of specialization; (d)
orientation to empirical research; (e) excellence in teaching.

Date for best consideration: December 1, 2010
Closing Date: Open until filled

Enquiries about this position can be addressed to: Professor Sherman Wilcox
(wilcox at unm.edu)

For details on application requirements or to apply, visit the UNMJobs
website: http://unmjobs.unm.edu/ Please reference Posting Number 0808563.

University of New Mexico is committed to promoting and supporting the
diversity of our campuses. UNM is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer.

Application Deadline: 01-Dec-2010 (Open until filled)

Web Address for Applications: http://www.unm.edu/jobs/
Contact Information:
	Professor Sherman Wilcox
	Email: wilcox at unm.edu