21.4459, Support: Applied Ling, Comp Ling, Psycholing: PhD Student, Carnegie Mellon

Mon Nov 8 01:01:10 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4459. Sun Nov 07 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4459, Support: Applied Ling, Comp Ling, Psycholing: PhD Student, Carnegie Mellon

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 04-Nov-2010
From: Audrey Russo [ar3v at andrew.cmu.edu]
Subject: Applied Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Psycholinguistics: PhD Student, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 20:00:07
From: Audrey Russo [ar3v at andrew.cmu.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4459.html&submissionid=3478675&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: Carnegie Mellon University
Department:
Web Address: http://www.cmu.edu/pier/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Psycholinguistics

I'm writing to you in my role as the Director of a pre-doctoral training program here at
Carnegie Mellon to describe a graduate training program that will be of interest to any
students interested in the Education Sciences.  I have asked our current grad
students to suggest names of people who might be interested applying to our
program, or who might know of someone who would be.

The Program in Interdisciplinary Educational Research  (PIER) is a thriving pre-
doctoral Training Grant established at CMU that is now in its 6th year. Our program
provides students with a solid basis for a career in rigorous educational research.
Eligibility for a PIER fellowship requires U.S. citizenship or permanent residency,
commitment to educational research, and admission to a departmental PhD program
at CMU.  Our current PIER fellows are in CMU's departments of Psychology,
Statistics, Philosophy, Human-Computer Interaction, Machine Learning, and
Computer Science. Our program -- described more fully at the PIER web site:
http://www.cmu.edu/pier/ -- is one of several currently funded by the Institute of
Education Sciences.

Each of the participating departments in our program recruits their grad students via
the normal departmental graduate admissions process.  Then, if students are above
threshold for their departmental admits, and have applied to PIER, they are
considered for entry into our program by the PIER steering committee.

Although Carnegie Mellon has a strong reputation for research in the core disciplines
that participate in PIER,  our long term interest in applied instructional problems has
only recently become visible as a coherent program - partly due to our PIER program
and partly due to our central role in the Pittsburgh Science of Learning Center. Find
out more here: http://www.cmu.edu/pier/

Application Deadline: 07-Apr-2011

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Audrey Russo