21.4485, Jobs: Computational Ling: Associate Research Scientist, ETS

Tue Nov 9 06:09:06 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4485. Tue Nov 09 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4485, Jobs: Computational Ling: Associate Research Scientist, ETS

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erin Smith <erin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Nov-2010
From: Apply Online [none at given.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Associate Research Scientist, Educational Testing Service, New Jersey, USA

Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 01:07:31
From: Apply Online [none at given.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4485.html&submissionid=3478773&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Educational Testing Service (ETS)
Job Location: New Jersey, USA
Job Rank: Associate Research Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

ETS (Educational Testing Service), with headquarters in Princeton, NJ, is a
global $1.3B not for profit organization.  Our mission is to advance
quality and equity in education by providing fair and valid assessments,
performing educational research and influencing policies that promote
learning, performance, education and professional development. As a
nonprofit corporation and an innovator in developing tests for clients in
education, government and business, we are dedicated to advancing
educational excellence for the communities we serve.

In this integral position, the selected candidate will apply their
scientific and technical skills to conceptualize, design, obtain support
for, conduct, manage and disseminate the results of research projects in
the field of automated speech assessment, or portions of large-scale
research studies or programs in the same field.

You will be offered the opportunity to develop and/or modify theories to
conceptualize and implement new capabilities in automated scoring and
speech-based analysis and evaluation systems used to improve assessments,
learning tools and test development practices. Be prepared to
design/conduct research studies and capability development, oversee select
portions of research proposals and project budgets and function as an
expert in major facets of the projects.

Our requirements include:
-Ability to participate in dissemination activities through the
publications of research papers, progress and technical reports, the
presentation of seminars or other appropriate communication vehicles
-Must be able to develop professional relationships as a representative,
consultant or advisor to external advisory and policy boards and councils,
research organizations, educational institutions and educators
-Ph.D. in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science, Electrical
Engineering or related areas, with strong emphasis on speech technology,
natural language processing, and machine learning, and preferably some
education in linguistics
-Evidence of substantive research experience and/or experience in
developing and deploying speech capabilities
-Demonstrable contributions to new and/or modified theories of speech
processing and their implementation in automated system
-Expertise in the application of speech recognition systems and fluency in
at least one major programming language (e.g. Java, Python, Perl), as well
as strong experience in Unix scripting

We offer a competitive salary and excellent compensation package including
medical, dental, vision, 403(b) retirement plan, life and disability
insurance, paid time off and an employee assistance program. Please apply
online at the application web address listed below.  EOE

Application Deadline: 04-May-2011

Web Address for Applications: http://www.apply-for-job.net/c/jobclick.cfm?site=944&job=7348049
Contact Information:
	Apply Online