21.4638, All: LINGUIST List MultiTree Project

Fri Nov 19 03:43:05 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4638. Thu Nov 18 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4638, All: LINGUIST List MultiTree Project

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.cfm

Date: 18-Nov-2010
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: LINGUIST List MultiTree Project

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 22:41:36
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4638.html&submissionid=3792154&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List Subscriber,

Here at The LINGUIST List, we are constantly developing new projects and
site features which will be of benefit to the Linguistics community. We
would like to draw your attention to one of our long-standing but
constantly evolving projects: MultiTree, which can be found at:
http://multitree.org/.

MultiTree is a digital library of scholarly hypotheses about language
relationships and subgroupings, or 'trees'. This information is organized
in a searchable database with a web  interface that now houses nearly 1,100
'trees', based on over 1600 publications. Using these facilities, you can:

-Compare trees side by side
-View full bibliographic information coded to trees by source
-View information on hypotheses that have been linked to existing LINGUIST
List databases, providing access to a wealth of information on related
books, articles, dissertations, and conferences
-Search by language, dialect or subgroup or search publication information.
-Customize trees' appearance by changing their size, color, and font
-And more!

MultiTree makes it easier than ever before to view and compare language
relationship hypotheses. MultiTree began as a three year NSF funded-project
in 2005 (BCS 04040000), and has been sustained for the last two years
through donations from our loyal subscriber base. We could not have created
this remarkable resource without your support!

MultiTree can be helpful in personal or academic pursuits, or for
interactive demonstrations in the classroom! Please feel free to visit our
interface at http://multitree.org/, and we would enjoy hearing your
feedback on this project.

Thank you again for your support!

Best Wishes,