21.4743, Jobs: Various Langs & Computational Ling: Researcher, Lingenio GmbH

Fri Nov 26 02:34:14 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4743. Thu Nov 25 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4743, Jobs: Various Langs & Computational Ling: Researcher, Lingenio GmbH

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erin Smith <erin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Nov-2010
From: Kurt Eberle [k.eberle at lingenio.de]
Subject: Dutch; Spanish; Portuguese & Computational Linguistics: Researcher, Lingenio GmbH, Heidelberg, Germany

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 21:33:33
From: Kurt Eberle [k.eberle at lingenio.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4743.html&submissionid=3792635&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Lingenio GmbH
Job Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Web Address: http://www.lingenio.de/English/index.htm
Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Translation; Grammar Development

Required Language(s): Dutch (nld)
                      Portuguese (por)
                      Spanish (spa)

Research Activity:
The research will be part of  a joint project of the University of Leeds
and Lingenio GmbH called HyghTra which investigates possibilities of rapid
construction of hybrid high quality Machine Translation systems  which
combine rule based and statistical methods applied to a number of European
languages. A main topic of the project is to design declarative core
grammars and train them using monolingual and bilingual corpora and
translation information.

The candidate will contribute to working out and to statistically
optimizing the grammars for Spanish, Portuguese and Dutch and the
corresponding parts of the dictionaries of the translation systems. Also he
or she will be expected to contribute to integrating the work done at the
University of Leeds and the development at Lingenio.

Skills and Experience:
- Broad general knowledge in Computational Linguistics, in particular
  good understanding of formal grammars and machine learning methods
- Good programming skills in C/C++ or Prolog
- Skills in scripting languages (Perl/Python) are welcome
- Good understanding of rule-based and statistical machine translation
  techniques
- Experience in grammar development, preferentially on the basis of
  dependence grammar formalisms
- Good knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese or Dutch and ability to design and
  implement corresponding dependence grammars
- Good command of written and spoken English and German
- Skills in other Germanic and Romance Languages or Slavic languages are
  welcome

Education:
Masters/Diploma in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science or equivalent.

Experience: 4 years in postgraduate research or development positions.

Duration: 18 months.
Salary: in relation to the available skills and experience

Application:
The official call is available at the application URL given below.  General
information about Lingenio can be found at our website.

Application Deadline: 18-Dec-2010

Email Address for Applications: k.eberle at lingenio.de
Web Address for Applications: http://www.lingenio.de/English/Lingenio/jobs.htm
Contact Information: