21.3947, Diss: Syntax/Comp Ling: Chakrabarti: 'A Study of the Complex ...'

Wed Oct 6 19:11:35 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3947. Wed Oct 06 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3947, Diss: Syntax/Comp Ling: Chakrabarti: 'A Study of the Complex ...'

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Mfon Udoinyang <mfon at linguistlist.org>

Date: 06-Oct-2010
From: Debasri Chakrabarti < debasri.chakrabarti at gmail.com >
Subject: A Study of the Complex Predicates of Hindi

Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:10:22
From: Debasri Chakrabarti [debasri.chakrabarti at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3947.html&submissionid=2650694&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Program: Ph.D
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2008

Author: Debasri Chakrabarti

Dissertation Title: A Study of the Complex Predicates of Hindi

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Hindi (hin)

Language Family(ies): Indo-Aryan

Dissertation Director(s):
Vaijayanthi M. Sarma
Milind S Malshe
Pushpak Bhattacharyya

Dissertation Abstract:

The thesis aims to provide a principled way to identify Complex Predicates
(CP) of Hindi and also discusses the issue of their storage in a lexical
database. Two types of Complex Predicates namely, Noun+Verb (conjunct verb)
and V+V sequences are examined. There are various multi-word verb
constructions in Hindi and not all of them are instances of CPs, hence, it
is necessary to have a systematic way to identify true CPs. To achieve this
goal different syntactic tests are applied to isolate a true CP from among
similar-looking multi-word constructions. After identifying CPs the next
task was to determine how they are formed. To accomplish this we analyzed
the semantic and syntactic properties of the second member of the CP (i.e.,
the verb in N-V sequences and V2 in V-V sequences). We conclude that the
N-V sequences are formed in the lexicon. In case of the V-V sequences we
have found that there are two types of CPs. Type 1 is a product of syntax
while Type 2 is formed lexically. We call the lexical CPs Compound Verbs.

This thesis also addresses the issue of storage of these constructions in a
database called Verb Knowledge Base (VKB). As these items are not listed in
standard dictionaries, we provide a programme for the automatic extraction
of Compound verbs from various corpora.

The work focuses on the following:
A. isolating N+V combinations that are conjunct verbs from among other N-V
sequences
B. isolating V+V combinations that are CPs from other V-V sequences
C. determining whether the CPs isolated above are formed lexically or
syntactically
D. studying semantic properties of V2s (Supra-lexical properties of CPs)
E. storing of lexical CPs in a lexical database
F. providing an algorithm for automated extraction of CPs from a corpus