21.4017, Jobs: Language Technology: Asst Prof, Eastern Michigan U., USA

Mon Oct 11 20:19:26 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4017. Mon Oct 11 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4017, Jobs: Language Technology: Asst Prof, Eastern Michigan U., USA

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Oct-2010
From: Anthony Aristar < aristar at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Language Technology: Assistant Professor, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:18:02
From: Anthony Aristar [aristar at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4017.html&submissionid=2651495&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Eastern Michigan University
Department: English
Job Location: Michigan, USA
Web Address: http://www.emich.edu/linguistics/index.html

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Documentation; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Language Technology

This position is a tenure-track assistant professor of linguistics with
experience and research interests in the application of computers to the
collection, analysis and archiving of language data. Expertise in the
digital search, retrieval, and display of language data is desirable, as is
knowledge of the statistical methods used in language technology. The
position begins Fall 2011.  The successful candidate will be expected to
teach courses in these skills, as well as undergraduate and MA-level
courses in one or more core areas of linguistics.  Knowledge of emerging
standards in language engineering is a plus, as is fieldwork experience or
experience working with phonetic, lexical or corpus data.

One of the developing emphases of the EMU linguistics program is the
digitization of language data. This emphasis manifests itself in the fact
that EMU is the site of the Institute for Language Information and
technology (ILIT), of which The LINGUIST List (http://linguistlist.org) is
a substantial component.  ILIT is a major developer of cyberinfrastructure
for linguistics and also an OLAC service provider
(http://linguistlist.org/olac/).  The successful candidate must be willing
to make a significant contribution to these enterprises, and to participate
in the research programs and functions of ILIT.

The linguistics program at Eastern Michigan University has a small faculty
committed to offering a competitive general linguistics curriculum at the
BA, BS, and MA levels.  We are seeking someone with versatility and
demonstrated excellence in teaching who will not only expand our curriculum
but also exhibit a dedication to teaching and to the continued development
of strong undergraduate and MA programs.

The PhD must be completed at the time of appointment. Eastern Michigan
University is a comprehensive university in southeastern Michigan with
approximately 25,000 students and 400 academic majors, minors and
concentrations offered through five degree-granting colleges and a graduate
school. All applications must be made online at https://www.emujobs.com -
Posting #FA1117E. Application materials should include an application
letter, CV, complete dossier (including three letters of recommendation),
and a sample of your recent work. Please direct inquiries to Helen
Aristar-Dry (hdry at linguistlist.org). We will begin screening applications
November 1 and continue until the position is filled.  EMU is an Equal
Opportunity employer; women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged
to apply.

Application Deadline: 01-Nov-2010

Web Address for Applications: http://www.emujobs.com
Contact Information: