21.4036, Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, U of Michigan-Flint

Tue Oct 12 19:42:34 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4036. Tue Oct 12 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4036, Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, U of Michigan-Flint

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 11-Oct-2010
From: Kazuko Hiramatsu < kazukoh at umflint.edu >
Subject: Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Michigan-Flint, MI, USA

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:34:06
From: KazukoHiramatsu [kazukoh at umflint.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4036.html&submissionid=2651472&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Michigan-Flint
Department: English/Linguistics
Job Location: Michigan, USA
Web Address: http://www.umflint.edu/english

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics

The University of Michigan-Flint invites applications for a tenure-track
position in Sociolinguistics at the Assistant Professor level beginning in
Fall 2011. The University of Michigan-Flint is an equal opportunity/
Affirmative Action employer.

The appointment carries a 3-3 teaching load in courses for several
programs: the new English major with a specialization in linguistics (with
courses cross-listed in Communication, Women's and Gender Studies,
Anthropology); the Linguistics minor; M.A. in English Language and
Literature; M.A. in Education. Significant teaching will be in courses that
fulfill general education or undergraduate and graduate education program
requirements. We are also expanding our online offerings to create a fully
online minor and online teaching will be expected.

Minimum qualifications include a Ph.D. in Linguistics with a specialization
in sociolinguistics, demonstrated teaching ability and experience with (or
potential for) curricular development, and evidence of scholarly activity.
Faculty members are expected to maintain a balanced record of excellence in
teaching, active research program with scholarly publications, and
constructive service. Experience in online teaching and civic engagement is
also desired.

The University of Michigan - Flint is a regional campus of the University
of Michigan with an enrollment of over 8,000 students situated in modern
facilities on a forty-two acre riverfront site in downtown Flint. The
population is a mixture of traditional and non-traditional students.
UM-Flint offers day, evening, and online classes, and faculty members are
expected to teach in those modes.

Cover letter, transcript, CV, statement of teaching philosophy,
dissertation abstract, and three letters of reference should be sent
electronically to sociolingsearch at umflint.edu or in hard copy to the
address below.

Review of applications will begin Nov. 15, 2010 and continue until the
position is filled. First-round interviews will be conducted at the
Linguistic Society of America in Pittsburgh in January 2011.

For additional information, please consult our website at the URL below and
at enter the job ID 52878 as the keyword.

Application Deadline: 15-Nov-2010
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Kazuko Hiramatsu, Sociolinguistics Search Chair
	Department of English
	University of Michigan-Flint
	326 French Hall
	Flint, MI 48502-1950