21.4169, Qs: United States: Indigenous Language among Immigrant Communities

Wed Oct 20 14:44:09 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4169. Wed Oct 20 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4169, Qs: United States: Indigenous Language among Immigrant Communities

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 14-Oct-2010
From: Ricard Vinas-de-Puig [vinasdepuigr at ecu.edu]

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:39:07
From: Ricard Vinas-de-Puig [vinasdepuigr at ecu.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4169.html&submissionid=2652035&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am currently working on the documentation and promotion of Latin
American indigenous languages among the Hispanic immigrant
population in Eastern North Carolina and I would like to get in touch
with linguists and language activists who have worked or are currently
working on similar issues in other regions in the United States. The
idea is to develop synergies between faculty, language and social
activists, and community members, and to share information,
resources, and practices.

I have had difficulty finding resources, although there are some articles
and other materials available that I have been able to consult:

Burke, Garance. 2002. 'Yucatecos and Chiapanecos in San Francisco:
Indigenous Immigrants Form Communities and enter a declining labor
market'. Paper presented at Indigenous Mexican Migrants in the US:
Building Bridges between Researchers and Community Leaders. Santa
Cruz, CA. October 11th-12th.

Fox, Jonathan. 2004. 'Reframing Mexican Migration as a Multi-Ethnic
Process'. Ms. University of California, Santa Cruz, CA.

Hornberger, Nancy H. 1998. 'Language policy, language education,
language rights: Indigenous, immigrant, and international perspectives'.
Language in Society, 27, 439-458.

Menjivar, Cecilia. 2002. 'Living in two worlds? Guatemalan-origin
children in the United States and emerging transnationalism'. Journal of
Ethnic and Migration Studies, 28, 3, 531-552.

Other resource recommendations would be appreciated and I am
interested in anything related to the documentation and promotion of
these languages. I am also interested in other phenomena, from the
type of research approach to more linguistic theory-related issues.

Beside looking for resources, I mostly want to establish contact with
people currently working on documentation and promotion projects in
the United States.

Thanks in advance for all the information and insights.

Best,
Ricard

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Language Documentation
                     Sociolinguistics