21.3504, Qs: Directives and Tags in Children's Pretend Play

Thu Sep 2 17:56:16 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3504. Thu Sep 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3504, Qs: Directives and Tags in Children's Pretend Play

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Sep-2010
From: Bethany Townsend < bat2 at rice.edu >
Subject: Directives and Tags in Children's Pretend Play

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 13:51:50
From: Bethany Townsend [bat2 at rice.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3504.html&submissionid=2646234&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST Subscribers,

I am currently doing research on the language and identity of children
engaged in dyadic pretend play, specifically their use of directives and
invariant tag questions as control mechanisms throughout unfolding
play scenarios.

I am presently aware of previous research done on similar topics by
Andersen (1978), Butler & Weatherall (2006), Garvey (1973 & 1979),
Goodwin (1990), Howes et al. (1992), Kyratzis (1999), Schwartz
(1991), and Sheldon (1996). However, I am afraid that there is other
research that I am missing due to a lack of familiarity with language
acquisition research. I am looking for good resources that I may have
missed on the language of children engaged in pretend play from any
linguistic subdiscipline.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Bethany Townsend
Ph.D. Student, Rice University