21.3506, Disc: Re: Medium of Instruction in Haiti

Fri Sep 3 00:34:54 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3506. Thu Sep 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3506, Disc: Re: Medium of Instruction in Haiti

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Sep-2010
From: Michel DeGraff < degraff at mit.edu >
Subject: Re: Medium of Instruction in Haiti

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 20:33:04
From: Michel DeGraff [degraff at mit.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3506.html&submissionid=2646334&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

Mather's LinguistList posting ''Medium of Instruction for Creole
Languages'' (posting # 21.3469, dated  Mon, 30 Aug 2010):

I would like to alert LinguistList readers that some of my musings on these
issues, in the particular context of post-earthquake Haiti, have now been
published---in the Boston Globe (in the U.S. on June 16) and in Le
Nouvelliste (in Haiti on August 30):

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/06/16/language_barrier_in_haiti/

http://www.lenouvelliste.com/articleforprint.php?PubID=1&ArticleID=82891

There are also discussions of these and related issues in the Boston Globe
online comments to my Op-Ed article and on the Linguistic Anthropology blog
and the LingAnth mailing list:

http://www.linguisticanthropology.org/2010/08/11/petition-on-haitian-kreyol/

http://www.linguisticanthropology.org/2010/09/01/michel-degraff-on-haitian-kreyol/

I hope these contributions can be helpful to LinguistList readers as well.

Thank you,

 -Michel

Michel DeGraff
MIT Linguistics & Philosophy