21.3535, Disc: Re: Etymology of 'Urdu'

Sun Sep 5 23:40:50 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3535. Sun Sep 05 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3535, Disc: Re: Etymology of 'Urdu'

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Sep-2010
From: Nicholas Kontovas < kontovas at gmail.com >
Subject: Re: Etymology of 'Urdu'

Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 19:39:22
From: Nicholas Kontovas [kontovas at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3535.html&submissionid=2646715&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Syed-Mohsin Naquvi <mnaquviyahoo.com> wrote:

'The word Urdu itself is a word from the Turkish language akin to the
English word Horde. However, the word Urdu which means an army, in
Turkish,is actually spelled Ordu in modern Turkish with an umlaut on the
initial O. I am trying to ascertain as to how and when this vowel-shift has
taken place. '

Actually, the word in Turkish is just 'ordu' -- no umlaut on the 'o'.

As for how the sound changed from Turkish 'o' to Urdu 'u', I'm not too sure.
The Ottoman script version of this word ('elif-re-del-vav') would similarly
be read in (Iranian) Farsi 'ordu', which would normally correspond to Tajiki
and Urdu 'urduu' ('uu' = long 'u'). Not sure what that means, but it's a start.

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics