21.3581, Jobs: Various Lang, Gen Ling & Lexicography: Linguist, Nuance Comm, Inc

Fri Sep 10 12:31:11 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3581. Fri Sep 10 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3581, Jobs: Various Lang, Gen Ling & Lexicography: Linguist, Nuance Comm, Inc

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erin Smith <erin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Sep-2010
From: lm linguistics < lm.linguistics at nuance.com >
Subject: Chinese, Mandarin; Chinese, Yue; German, Standard & General Linguistics and Lexicography: Linguist, Nuance Communications, Inc.

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:29:11
From: lm linguistics [lm.linguistics at nuance.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3581.html&submissionid=2647115&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communications, Inc.
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com/

Job Rank: Linguist

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Lexicography

Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
                      German, Standard (deu)
                      Chinese, Yue (yue)

Nuance Communications, Inc., a world-wide leader in speech technology, is
seeking a part-time language consultant to enhance our language
dictionaries in one of the above languages.

All work will be done off-site (e.g. at your home).

Responsibilities:
- Evaluating and correcting dictionary entries
- Identifying new entries for general and specialized dictionaries.
- Writing phonetic transcriptions for new and existing entries.
- Serving as language expert resource for engineers and researchers.

Requirements:
- Native fluency in German, Mandarin or Cantonese
- For the Chinese position: knowledge of both Simplified and Traditional
writing system
- Completion or near-completion of undergraduate degree in linguistics.
- Knowledge of International Phonetic Alphabet or SAMPA.
- Ability to work independently.
- Up-to-date computer, preferably Windows.
- Home internet connection.
- A high level of proficiency in English.

Helpful Skills:
- Expertise in medicine, law, or technology.
- Knowledge of UNIX.
- For the Chinese position, knowledge of Japanese or Korean is a plus.
- Ability to program in a scripting language.

An average of 10 hours per week of work over a period of 6 months is needed
for the German project.

A minimum of 20 hours per week of work over a period of 6 months is needed
for the Chinese Mandarin-Cantonese project.

To apply, please submit your resume or CV and a brief statement describing
your experience and abilities to the application email address listed
below. We will consider only electronic submissions. No phone calls, please.

Application Deadline: Sept 20, 2010

(Positions may be filled before that date if qualified applicants are found.)

Application Deadline: 30-Sep-2010

Email Address for Applications: lm.linguistics at nuance.com
Contact Information:
	lm linguistics