21.3683, Jobs: Anthropological Ling: Asst Prof, U of Massachusetts-Amherst

Sat Sep 18 16:46:09 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3683. Sat Sep 18 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3683, Jobs: Anthropological Ling: Asst Prof, U of Massachusetts-Amherst

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 17-Sep-2010
From: Lisa Wegiel < lwegiel at anthro.umass.edu >
Subject: Anthropological Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, MA, USA

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:43:18
From: Lisa Wegiel [lwegiel at anthro.umass.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3683.html&submissionid=2648474&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Massachusetts-Amherst
Department: Anthropology
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: http://www.umass.edu/anthro

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics

The University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks to hire a scholar in the
Department of Anthropology at the assistant professor level starting Fall
2011, with a specialization in the social life of discourse and language.
PhD required at the time of appointment. The Department is building on our
teaching, research, and service concentration on the causes and
manifestations of inequality and the promotion of social justice in the
Americas. This position is part of a group of hires in these areas across
the subdisciplines of anthropology.

The successful candidate will have a vision and strong record of research
and teaching in issues of discourse, power, and inequality, with a specific
area concentration that enhances our department's strength in the Americas,
with a preferred focus on Latin American, Caribbean, or Latino studies.

The Department has a strong preference for research that addresses the
racialized politics of language: racism, colonialism, creolization;
language shift, linguistic profiling, language and media, and language
reclamation; the role of language and discourse in the constitution of
race, gender, and sexuality; institutional(ized) discourses of education
and socialization; and bi- or multilingual communities.

The department seeks candidates who:
-  will strengthen our curriculum in research methodologies, data
collection, and analysis, and have expertise in digital technologies for
working with discourse data.
-  demonstrate a willingness to serve linguistic communities through their
research.
-  are integrated into the racialized communities they study, as a means to
build on the strong community outreach initiative of the department.
-  value and encourage research and teaching across the subdisciplines of
anthropology.
-  will strengthen our cooperation with interdepartmental programs with
these same foci.

The department is committed to developing a more diverse faculty, student
body and curriculum.

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is the flagship campus of the
5-campus publicly funded UMass system. It is located in the Connecticut
River Valley, 90 miles west of Boston and 180 miles northeast of New York
City. UMass Amherst hosts nearly 19,000 undergraduate students and 5,600
graduate students, and nearly 900 tenure system faculty. The Department of
Anthropology has 21 faculty, 175 majors in the BA program and 82 graduate
students working on MA and/or PhD programs.

UMass Amherst anthropology faculty work closely with their counterparts in
the area private colleges (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith) in
curricular planning. The faculty is unionized, and the University of
Massachusetts offers an excellent benefits package. UMass Amherst prohibits
discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The University of
Massachusetts is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women
and members of minority groups are encouraged to apply.

We are accepting applications online at the application URL below. Please
include a letter describing interests and qualifications, a CV, and list of
3 referees. Alternatively, paper submissions should be sent to the
address below. Application screening commences on September 30, 2010, and
continues until the position is filled.

Application Deadline: 30-Sep-2010 (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Tracy Tudryn, Dean's Assistant
	Dean's Office
	230 Draper Hall