21.3786, Qs: Classical and Hellenistic Greek: Passive Perfect

Mon Sep 27 16:55:44 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3786. Mon Sep 27 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3786, Qs: Classical and Hellenistic Greek: Passive Perfect

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Sep-2010
From: Erika Cancellu < sawadee46 at hotmail.com >

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:54:41
From: Erika Cancellu [sawadee46 at hotmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3786.html&submissionid=2648658&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hello LINGUIST subscribers,

I have a problem in understanding the true semantic value of the
Passive Perfect in Classical Greek. I would like to know if anybody
thinks that it is an aspectual category. My interest does not lie in the
earliest phases of Greek Language, but mostly in the Greek of
Aristotle, Autolycus of Pitane, and the scientific treatises written in the
Classical/Hellenistic Age.

I am looking for articles and discussions about the semantic value of
Passive Perfect in Classical (and Hellenistic) Greek for my dissertation.

I have had trouble in finding a specific bibliography on this topic. I have
read Pierre Chantraine, "Historie du Parfait Grec," and am an avid
reader of William W. Goodwin, Albert Rijksbaron, Andreas Willi, Andrè
Sauge, Domenica Romagno, and also Costantine R. Campbell.
Romagno's book, "Il perfetto omerico", is available only in Italian, while
Andrè Sauge's "Les degrés du verbe", is written in French and I guess
there is not a translation in English. I am also familiar with Campbell's
2008 book, "Verbal aspect and non-indicative verbs: further soundings
in the Greek of the New Testament." Campbell also wrote a quite
unknown (at least in Italy) book about the indicative verbs in 2007.

I have also checked in L'Anneè Philologie and Biblioteca linguistica. I
would like to know if anybody knows of anything more specific.

Thanks a lot for your attention,
Erika Cancellu

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Greek, Ancient (grc)