21.3803, Jobs: Computational Ling; Historical Ling; Researcher, Ruhr-U Bochum

Tue Sep 28 23:56:46 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3803. Tue Sep 28 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3803, Jobs: Computational Ling; Historical Ling; Researcher, Ruhr-U Bochum

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 28-Sep-2010
From: Stefanie Dipper < dipper at linguistics.rub.de >
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Historical Linguistics: Researcher, Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:54:39
From: Stefanie Dipper [dipper at linguistics.rub.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3803.html&submissionid=2649594&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Ruhr-University Bochum
Department: Linguistics Department
Job Location: Bochum, Germany
Web Address: http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/

Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Historical Linguistics

We are looking for two enthusiastic PhD students, prepared to collaborate
in a team. The positions are within an interdisciplinary project group,
funded by the DFG (German Research Foundation), which involve people from
medieval studies, historical linguistics, and computational linguistics.
The project deals with texts from Early New High German (14th-16th centuries).

The project has three main goals: (i) developing automatic methods for the
analysis of historical language data (e.g. POS tagging, normalization,
alignment); (ii) computing similarity of historical dialects (at different
linguistic levels); (iii) adapting and extending an existing corpus tool
for the data.

Applicants for both positions should have graduated from a master's
program, or expect to graduate in the near future. They are supposed to
pursue a PhD within the project context. Both positions require a
background in corpus and/or computational linguistics, and good programming
skills (e.g. Java, Perl, Python; experience in software development on
Linux systems is a plus). Knowledge of German is desirable, and interest in
working with historical language data is indispensable.

Ideal candidates will have a strong background in two or more of the
following areas:

- Development of corpus tools (annotation tools, search tools)
- (Semi-)automatic annotation (POS tagging, chunking, alignment, etc.)
- Data mining, clustering
- Historical linguistics

The positions are at the rank of 'Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter'. The
salary is determined by the pay scale for German public employees
('Entgeltgruppe' TV-L E13, 65%). The initial contract length is two years,
with a potential extension for an additional year.

Applications received by November 1, 2010 will receive full consideration.
However, the search will remain open until the positions are filled.
Candidates should send:

- a short letter of interest
- a detailed CV with a summary of research experiences/interests
- one or two sample publications or a copy of the master thesis
- the names and contact information of two referees
- diploma copies.

Please submit PDF files only. Email address for inquiries and applications
below.

The Ruhr-University Bochum is an equal opportunity employer. Severely
disabled persons with equal qualifications will be prioritized.

http://www.linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~dipper

Application Deadline: 01-Nov-2010 (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Jun.Prof. Dr. Stefanie Dipper
	Institute of Linguistics
	Ruhr-University Bochum