22.1550, Qs: Survey Analyzing Context and Congratulations

Tue Apr 5 16:38:47 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1550. Tue Apr 05 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1550, Qs: Survey Analyzing Context and Congratulations

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Apr-2011
From: Najmeh Nasri [nasri.eng200 at gmail.com]

Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 12:34:49
From: Najmeh Nasri [nasri.eng200 at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1550.html&submissionid=4509395&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am a PhD student of TEFL, and for my Discourse Analysis course I am
conducting a cross-cultural study to find the differences and similarities
in the ways people offer congratulations on different occasions. I would
like to invite anyone who is interested, particularly native English
speakers, to participate in my 12 question survey below. This
questionnaire only requires short responses, and I would be grateful
for any answers I receive. If you would like to take part, please email

nasri.eng200 at gmail.com

And please include the following information:

Age:
Sex:
Level of Education:
Nationality:

Thank you,
Nasri

Survey:

Instructions: Please read the following 12 situations. After each
situation you will be asked to write a response in the blank in order to
congratulate a person. Please respond as naturally as possible and try
to write your response as you feel you would say it in the situation. The
data will be used for research purposes only.

1. While walking in the university, you see one of your old friends:

You: How have you been? The last time I saw you, you were busy with
your thesis. Did you manage to finish it?

Your friend: Yeah! I finally finished it. I just graduated two months ago!

You say: ________________________

2. One of your professors has recently written a book which has been
chosen as the best book of the year. You see the professor in the
university.

You say:_____________________________________

3. One of your classmate's articles has been accepted by a famous
journal. When you see your classmate,

You say: ____________________________________

4. You see one of your close friends.

You: Hey, how's it going?

Your friend: I am having a great day- I just picked up my new car!

You say: __________________________________

5. You are a clerk in a company. In the morning, you see your boss
stepping out of a new expensive car.

You say: ___________________________________

6. You are the manager of a company, and one of your clerks has
recently got a job promotion. You see the clerk in the company.

You say: _________________________________

7. While waiting in the bus stop, you see one of your friends. It's been a
long time since you've seen him/her.

You: Hey! How have you been?

Your friend: I've been great- so much has happened since I last saw
you. I even got married three months ago!

You say: _______________________________________

8. You are an employee in a company and you have been informed
that your employer got married recently. At noon, you see your
employer and you want to congratulate him/her.

You say: __________________________________

9. You are a clerk. You see the janitor of the office.

You: I haven't seen you at work for a few days. Is everything ok?

Janitor: Everything's great- my wife just had a baby three days ago!

You say: ___________________________________

10. You work in a company. While working in your office Mr. X with
whom you are not intimate enters and wants to speak with your
colleague at the same office.

Your colleague says: Mr. X's child was born yesterday.

You say to Mr.X: ________________________________________

11. You have been working in a company for three years. You find out
that your colleague with the same level of experience has just been
promoted.

When you see your colleague you say: __________________________

12. You have practiced tennis for a long time to win the game.
However, your opponent wins the game. After the game you see
him/her with the prize in his/her hand.

You say: ____________________________________

Thanks again for your time and effort

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Pragmatics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.