22.1736, Jobs: French; Applied Ling; Second Lang Acq: Post Doc, U of Southampton

Tue Apr 19 14:02:16 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1736. Tue Apr 19 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1736, Jobs: French; Applied Ling; Second Lang Acq: Post Doc, U of Southampton

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 19-Apr-2011
From: Rosamond Mitchell [R.F.Mitchell at soton.ac.uk]
Subject: French; Applied Linguistics; Second Language Acquisition: Post Doc, University of Southampton, United Kingdom

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:00:01
From: Rosamond Mitchell [R.F.Mitchell at soton.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1736.html&submissionid=4513415&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Southampton
Department: Humanities/Modern Languages
Job Location: Southampton, United Kingdom
Web Address: http://www.soton.ac.uk
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition

Required Language(s): French (fra)

Research Fellow in French Applied Linguistics

The University of Southampton is seeking a postdoctoral Research Fellow
with a background in second language acquisition, to join a research team
studying the language learning of British students of French and Spanish
during residence abroad.

This research project is funded by the UK Economic and Social Research
Council, and our aims are a) to document the linguistic development of
participating students before, during and after residence abroad, and b) to
relate linguistic development to students' language use patterns and
developing social networks while abroad. The postholder will take a lead
role in all aspects of data collection, data analysis, reporting and
dissemination of results, for the learners of French, and will be expected
at certain times to undertake extensive fieldwork in France.

Candidates should hold a PhD in a relevant area of French linguistics/
applied linguistics/ sociolinguistics, and should possess native/
near-native competence in French and English. The project will be
collecting both quantitative and qualitative data, and will be creating and
analysing a new learner corpus using the CHILDES software suite. Knowledge
of both quantitative and qualitative research techniques is highly
desirable, as are strong IT skills.

This is a fixed term full time post lasting 24 months, with a start date of
1 August 2011. Starting salary is £27428 per annum. Informal enquiries
should be made to Professor Ros Mitchell (email below) Modern Languages,
University of Southampton, but applications are only accepted online via
the application URL cited below. (For administrative inquiries about the
application process you can call the phone number below.)

Your completed application should include (i) letter of application; (ii)
the application form; (iii) your Curriculum Vitae; (iv) the names and
addresses of two referees. (Our online application process will prompt you
to include all the above). The closing date for applications is 10th May
2011 at 12.00 noon. Please quote reference number 5505-11-D on all
correspondence.

Application Deadline: 10-May-2011

Web Address for Applications: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/jobs/
Contact Information:
	Professor Rosamond Mitchell
	Email: R.F.Mitchell at soton.ac.uk
	Phone: +442380592750

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.