22.1787, If: Everyone Who Uses Linguist List Would Give Just a Dollar

Thu Apr 21 15:20:24 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1787. Thu Apr 21 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1787, If: Everyone  Who Uses Linguist List Would Give Just a Dollar

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Maria Moreno-Rollins <maria at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.cfm

Date: 21-Apr-2011
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Letter from Barbara Partee, Advisor

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:19:50
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1787.html&submissionid=4514537&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Dear Linguist List subscribers,

Since I spend half of every year in Russia, I've become acutely
aware of several things that I had been less conscious of when my
view was just from the U.S. Maybe some of them will be relevant
to some of you as we try to make this fund drive end!

(i) Linguist List is really international. In some ways it's even
more crucial for the international community than for the U.S. -
it really does help make it a small world, where everyone can find
out about every kind of resource and opportunity. When I first
arrived at Moscow State University in 1996, access to the internet
was quite limited (one had to stand in line with your diskette for
the one computer in the department that could send and receive
e-mail), but there was already a mirror site of Linguist List
installed and much used. If you're not in the U.S., this is to you!

Donate at:

(ii) Students and faculty in many countries have much less time
and money than they typically do in the U.S. One of my former
Russian students this year asked me, with some annoyance, why I
keep asking the relatively poor academics in Russia to send money
to the rich U.S. She hadn't realized how many of the graduate
students at Eastern Michigan University working for Linguist List
are international students themselves, and that their work and study
there is a great opportunity. And I also reply that no one is asked
to give more than they can, and donations can be anonymous (so we
never know that someone "didn't give"). We know that if everyone
who uses Linguist List would give just a dollar (which requires
some group cooperation, since the minimum credit card donation is
$5), we would raise far more than the Fund Drive target total!

Donate at:

(iii) Some countries (Russia is the example I know best) have no
tradition of "fund-raising" among ordinary non-wealthy people to
support a common good, as is common in the U.S. for public radio
and many other good causes. Things for the common good tend in
many countries to be either government-funded through taxation or
else supported by rich donors and corporate sponsors. If you're in
such a country, and you're a linguist, and you've ever benefited
from Linguist List in any way, I hope you'll follow the example
of my Russian colleagues who have in the past several years begun
to donate, in smaller or larger amounts, as they can afford. The
totals add up quickly enough!

Oh, I have to stop writing! One of my colleagues just phoned to
ask me to use my VISA card to send in a contribution from her,
so I should stop and send the money! (She had just seen the urgent
appeal I sent around this afternoon to the Moscow linguist's mailing
list - if you have access to a local list, use it to urge all your
colleagues to donate, quick!)

Donate at:

Best wishes to all from one of the Advisors,

Barbara Partee

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.