22.3184, Jobs: General Ling; Arabic Studies: Full Prof, U of Erlangen-N ürnberg

Wed Aug 10 14:16:09 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3184. Wed Aug 10 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3184, Jobs: General Ling; Arabic Studies: Full Prof, U of Erlangen-Nürnberg

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 10-Aug-2011
From: Heidrun Stein-Kecks [dekanat.phil-fak at zuv.uni-erlangen.de]
Subject: General Linguistics; Arabic Studies: Full Professor, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:09:29
From: Heidrun Stein-Kecks [dekanat.phil-fak at zuv.uni-erlangen.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3184.html&submissionid=4529122&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Erlangen-Nürnberg
Department: Classical World and Asian Cultures
Job Location: Erlangen, Germany
Web Address: http://www.orientalistik.uni-erlangen.de/
Job Rank: Full Professor

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Arabic Studies

Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)

The Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and School of Theology invites
applications for a

W3-Professorship in Arabic Studies

at the Department of Classical World and Asian Cultures, Institute of Middle
Eastern and Far Eastern Languages and Cultures, to be occupied as soon as
possible.

The Professor will be expected to adequately represent the area of Arabic
Studies both as a teacher and researcher, the emphasis being on the field of
Linguistics. The duties include full cooperation in counselling students of
Oriental Studies, Oriental Studies and Social Sciences, and Middle Eastern
Studies. It is our wish to integrate Arabic Studies more fully into the MA
Linguistics programme. At the University, the W3-Professorship will work
very closely with the Interdisciplinary Centers (in particular 'Dialects and
Language Variation', 'Lexicography, Valency and Collocation Research') and
with the Middle East Section at the Center for Area Studies. In addition to
this, the successful candidate will be expected to cooperate with the Institute
of Oriental Studies at Bamberg University as part of the Bavarian Oriental
Conference ('Orientkolloquium'). For this reason, we expect the applicant to
be familiar with interdisciplinary activities.

Qualifications include a university degree, educational capabilities and
outstanding academic research skills, customarily acquired by way of an
excellent PhD, habilitation, or equivalent academic qualification. The
successful candidate will have an excellent command of written and spoken
Arabic (standard and dialect), a good working knowledge of a further Oriental
language, and study or research experience in the Arab world. The applicant
is expected to acquire sufficient knowledge of the German language within an
acceptable time period.

The successful candidate will be expected to take over administrative duties,
further develop courses of studies and attract external funding.

At the time of appointment the candidate must not be older than 52 years of
age. The Ministry for Science, Research and Art may allow an exception in
special cases, which has to be approved by the Ministry of Finance. This
appointment will be made by the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg.

The University of Erlangen-Nürnberg is committed to a pro-family policy, and
as an equal opportunity employer supports dual-career couples. We strongly
encourage women to apply in an effort to increase a female representation in
research and teaching.

The University of Erlangen-Nürnberg pursues a policy of intensive study
support of its students and expects therefore that its teaching staff maintain
a substantial student contact time by being present at the university.

All other qualifications being equal handicapped persons will be given priority.

Application documents (curriculum vitae, photograph, list of publications and
teaching activities, copies of degree certificates but no publications) and a
brief statement of research interests must be sent in print and electronic
format not later than September 23, 2011, to the application address and
email address below.

Application Deadline: 23-Sep-2011
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Dean Prof. Dr. Heidrun Stein-Kecks
	Philosophischen Fakultät und Fachbereich Theologie
	Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
	Hindenburgstr. 34
	D-91054 Erlangen
	Germany