22.3251, Jobs: Speech Recognition: Research Engineer, Nuance Communications

Mon Aug 15 18:15:15 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3251. Mon Aug 15 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3251, Jobs: Speech Recognition: Research Engineer, Nuance Communications

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson <kristen at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-Aug-2011
From:  Recruitment Team [careers at nuance.com]
Subject: Automatic Speech Recognition: Research Engineer, Nuance Communications, MA, USA

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:12:51
From:  Recruitment Team [careers at nuance.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3251.html&submissionid=4529469&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com
Job Rank: Research Engineer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Natural Language Processing

Nuance is a leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for businesses
and consumers around the world. Our technologies, applications and services
make the user experience more compelling by transforming the way people
interact with information and how they create, share and use documents.
Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses, experience
Nuance by calling directory assistance, getting account information, dictating
patient records, telling a navigation system their destination, or digitally
reproducing documents that can be shared and searched. Making each of
those experiences productive and compelling is what Nuance is all about.

Nuance is an equal opportunity employer.

We are looking for a highly motivated individual with an appetite for problem
solving to improve the post-speech-recognition text processing components
of the eScription system.

Responsibilities:
-  eScription ASR has some unique and state-of-the-art technology that
converts spoken language transcription into formatted document
*  As part of improving this technology, the new researcher will work on
formatting and post-processing of Speech Recognition output using various
models including those created from feedback/corrections by medical
transcriptionists
-  Candidate will be part of a small group of Speech and Text processing
researchers in eScription ASR reporting to the ASR manager

Specific duties include:
-  Understanding the difference between spoken language input and written
form (document) output and the required transformation/translation
-  Converting unstructured text to structured documents using techniques
derived from topic boundary detection and tracking
-  Implementing formatting techniques derived from HMM modeling,
transformation based modeling or spoken language translation techniques to
improve current formatting technology

Qualifications:
1)  Number of Years of Work Experience: 3 years (Research done in graduate
school may be counted as Work)

2)  Required Skills:
-  Research Experience:  Hands on research experience in at least one of
these areas is required:
*  HMM modeling, TBL, Language Modeling, Topic Detection
*  Spoken Language Translation, Statistical NLP
*  Machine Learning, speech and/or language model adaptation
*  Information Retrieval, Data mining, search algorithms
-  Exposure to Automatic Speech Recognition algorithms - such as acoustic
and language modeling, decoding, adaptation etc is required
-  Programming expertise in one or more of these is essential: PERL, Python,
JAVA, C++, shell scripting skills in Linux environment
-  A strong desire and skill towards "Applied" research, turning known
techniques and algorithms into useful product features in a production
environment are required

3)  Preferred Skills:
-  Prior research experience in Computer Aided Medical Transcription using
Speech Recognition and NLP is preferred
-  SQL and/or other Database related experience is a PLUS

4)  Education:
-  M.S. or Ph.D. in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science, EE or
Mathematics (Ph.D. preferred)

Application Deadline: 15-Nov-2011

Web Address for Applications: http://jobs-nuance.icims.com/jobs/6598/job
Contact Information