22.3262, Jobs: Language Acq; Language Attrition: Post Doc, U of Groningen

Tue Aug 16 14:09:14 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3262. Tue Aug 16 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3262, Jobs: Language Acq; Language Attrition: Post Doc, U of Groningen

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 16-Aug-2011
From: Wyke van der Meer [w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl]
Subject: Language Acquisition; Language Attrition: Post Doc, University of Groningen, Netherlands

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:08:05
From: Wyke van der Meer [w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3262.html&submissionid=4529562&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Groningen
Department: Faculty of Arts
Job Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.rug.nl/let/index
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Language Attrition

Postdoc on L2 acquisition and L1 attrition of Dutch and German (0,75 fte)

The postdoc position is part of the NWO-funded Vici research project 'The age
effect in bilingual development: grammatical gender in second language
acquisition and first language attrition', awarded to Dr Monika S. Schmid
(http://www.rug.nl/staff/m.s.schmid/research). The program examines to what
extent second language learners can attain fully native-like representations of
grammatical gender, and what the role of their own language background and the
age at which they started acquiring the L2 is in this respect. In order to shed
more light on this question, migrants who have lived in an environment where a
non-gender language is spoken are also investigated. The project will employ
neurocognitive experimental techniques (ERPs and eyetracking) as well as more
traditional behavioral measures (grammaticality judgments and free speech).

Additional information as well as a complete description of the project and the
PhD/Postdoc subprojects can be obtained from the principal investigator or
secretary CLGC.

Requirements:
-  PhD degree in (Neuro-/Psycho-/Applied/General) Linguistics or a related field
-  In-depth knowledge of theoretical approaches to second language acquisition
-  Native or near-native speaker of Dutch or German and excellent command of
English
-  Ability to work in a research team
-  Ability or willingness to learn to apply experimental methods is an advantage

For further information on the advert and for the application details please use
the application URL below.

Application Deadline: 15-Sep-2011

Web Address for Applications: http://www.academictransfer.com/10866/
Contact Information: