22.3354, Qs: Seek Mandarin, Yoruba Speakers for Online Study

Tue Aug 23 19:22:23 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3354. Tue Aug 23 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3354, Qs: Seek Mandarin, Yoruba Speakers for Online Study

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Woo <bwoo at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 23-Aug-2011
From: Darcie Blainey [musiclanguagetest at gmail.com]

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:21:31
From: Darcie Blainey [musiclanguagetest at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3354.html&submissionid=4530071&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hello,

My name is Darcie Blainey, and I am a PhD student at Tulane
University.  I am conducting an online study to examine potential links
between the rate of amusia (inability to distinguish different melodies)
in a speech population and their language's tone status.  I am therefore
looking for native speakers of English (non-tonal), Yoruba, and
Mandarin (tonal) to complete the 10-minute online study.

I am especially in need of native Mandarin and Yoruba speakers.
Speakers can be of any nationality, as long as they are between the
ages of 12 and 90 and have access to an internet connection with
sound.  Speakers are required to fill out an anonymous demographics
form, and then listen pairs of melodies, in order to decide whether they
are the same or different.  Speakers will receive no compensation for
participation in the study.

The study website is available at the following address:

Mandarin:
http://www.tulane.edu/~klingler/musiclanguagetest/app/webroot/index.p
hp/home/chi

Yoruba:
http://www.tulane.edu/~klingler/musiclanguagetest/app/webroot/index.p
hp/home/yor

There may be complications when using the Safari browser on Mac
computers.  We are working to resolve this bug, but in the event of
difficulties, please try using a different browser.

This research is based on the work of Isabelle Peretz and colleagues.
More information about the study can be provided on request.
Naturally, I will report to LinguistList on any eventual findings of the
research.

Please consider posting this information on LinguistList, and forwarding
the links to any potential participants.  I greatly appreciate your
assistance, and thank you in advance for your help!  Please do not
hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

Sincerely yours,

Darcie Blainey
musiclanguagetest at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition
                     Linguistic Theories
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Phonology
                     Typology