22.3357, Jobs: Japanese; Phonetics: Linguistic Engineer, Nuance Communication

Wed Aug 24 15:27:39 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3357. Wed Aug 24 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3357, Jobs: Japanese; Phonetics: Linguistic Engineer, Nuance Communication

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson <kristen at linguistlist.org>

Date: 24-Aug-2011
From: Nicki Myddleton-Jones [nicki.mj at nuance.com]
Subject: Japanese; Phonetics: Linguistic Engineer, Nuance Communication International Bvba, MA, USA

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:25:45
From: Nicki Myddleton-Jones [nicki.mj at nuance.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3357.html&submissionid=4530164&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communication International BVBA
Department: Research & Developement
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: https://jobs-nuance.icims.com/jobs/6793/job
Job Rank: Linguistic Engineer

Specialty Areas: Phonetics

Required Language(s): Japanese (jpn)

Linguistic Engineer - 12 Month Contract

Linguist Engineer required to provide linguistic support for Japanese and other
language expansion of Mobile and desktop search and dictation applications.

Key Responsibilities
-  Evaluating design and quality of pronunciation dictionaries
-  Identifying new entries for general and specialized dictionaries
-  Correcting existing dictionary entries
-  Phonetic transcription
-  Serving as a language expert resource for engineers and researchers
-  Managing other language consultant contractors
-  Merging in house resources
-  Create NLP grammars for numerical expressions

Skills and Experience Required

1) Language Skill Requirements
-  English: native or near-native skills
-  Japanese: native skills

2) Other Requirements
-  A post-graduate degree in linguistics
-  Experience with phonetic transcription and the International Phonetic
Alphabet
-  Ability to program in a scripting language (e.g. Perl or Python)
-  Ability to work independently
-  Basic knowledge of Unix/Linux (navigating directory structures, copying
files, etc.)
-  Familiarity with a text editor (e.g. emacs or vi)
-  Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
-  Team leadership and/or management experience desired
-  Other languages is a plus.

Email Address for Applications: nicki.mj at nuance.om
Web Address for Applications: http://jobs-nuance.icims.com/jobs/6793/job
Contact Information: