22.3382, All: Obituary: Professor Lewis Mukattash

Fri Aug 26 15:03:31 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3382. Fri Aug 26 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3382, All: Obituary: Professor Lewis Mukattash

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.cfm

Date: 24-Aug-2011
From: Wafa abu Hatab [wafatab at gmail.com]
Subject: Obituary: Professor Lewis Mukattash

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:02:07
From: Wafa abu Hatab [wafatab at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3382.html&submissionid=4530202&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

Professor Lewis Mukattash, 68 from Jordan passed away Thursday
July 21, 2011. Professor Lewis, a professor of English and Linguistics,
a former chair of the Department of English Language & Literature and
former dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies at the University of
Jordan was also the founder and president of the Association of
Professors of English Language, Literature and Translation at Arab
Universities (APETAU). Professor Lewis got his Ph D in linguistics from
Bangor University in 1973.

He published extensively, particularly in syntax and contrastive
linguistics in most prestigious journals. He has always been known for
his seriousness and dedication to his work, always aiming at perfection.
His contributions to the field of Arabic-English contrastive linguistics are
widely acknowledged. During his work at the Arab Open University as a
vice -rector, professor Lewis contributed to its success both on the
local and Arab levels.

Professor Mukattash was my first syntax professor and my first advisor
and mentor. I remember his first words as he started the syntax course:
'What matters is not to memorize the rules, what matters is to THINK
about them.' He kept encouraging students to think, discuss and ask
questions. Later, he taught me other linguistic courses in the MA
program. I remember his words to my father before the defense of my
MA thesis: Do not worry about her, I know my students.

I came to discover another aspect of Professor Mukattash's personality
when he encouraged me to join APEATU and later to be elected as its
secretary from 2006-2011. During this time, Professor Mukattash
taught me a lot. He was the most active member, doing most of the
work, never complaining, preparing for APETAU conferences, chairing
the organizing committee, and taking care of every single detail. He
was a model to follow in organization, dedication, and seriousness. I
am indebted to him for all that he taught me as a student and as a
secretary of the association, let alone his wisdom capsules that he
used to share with me and other members of APEATU board.

Those among us who were honored to have been associated with
Professor Mukattash forever remember him as a man of tremendous
humility, a sincere and careful listener, and a creative thinker. He was a
keen scholar, a superb teacher and mentor, and a generous friend. He
will be dearly missed by his many students, colleagues, and friends.

If you want to contribute pictures, thoughts, etc, for a memorial page
that  will be created later for Professor Lewis , please write to
apetau at yahoo.com.

Wafa abu Hatab
Associate professor of contrastive linguistics and translation
Zarqa University
Jordan

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition