22.4807, Jobs: Specialty Open: Chair, Texas Tech University

Fri Dec 2 19:26:26 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4807. Fri Dec 02 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4807, Jobs: Specialty Open: Chair, Texas Tech University

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 02-Dec-2011
From: Mary Jane Hurst [maryjane.hurst at ttu.edu]
Subject: Specialty Open: Chair, Texas Tech University, USA

Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 14:24:52
From: Mary Jane Hurst [maryjane.hurst at ttu.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4807.html&submissionid=4537027&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Texas Tech University
Department: English
Job Location: Texas, USA
Web Address: http://www.english.ttu.edu/
Job Rank: Chair of Department

Specialty Areas: Specialty Open

The Department of English at Texas Tech University invites applications for
the position of chairperson to begin July 15, 2012. Applicants should have
academic credentials commensurate with appointment to rank of tenured
full professor and must have strong administrative, research, and teaching
records.

We are looking for a judicious scholar- administrator of national or
international reputation who can contribute to one or more of the
department's core areas of research and teaching, work cooperatively with
faculty and students of diverse disciplines, and demonstrate experience
with managing budgets, supervising instructors and staff, and assessing
academic programs.

This individual will guide the administration of programs in composition and
rhetoric, creative writing, film, linguistics, literary studies, and technical
communication. The successful candidate must be able to provide
leadership in realizing the department's strategic vision, promoting the
humanities, addressing the challenges of public higher education, and
cultivating civic engagement.

It is expected that the chair, like all new faculty, will be engaged in
scholarship or creative activity that attracts outside funding in the form of
fellowships, grants, exhibits, and similar kinds of support.

The Department of English is large (52 faculty, 500 undergraduate majors,
150 graduate students), dynamic, and diverse, with B.A., M.A., and Ph.D.
degrees in English and B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees in Technical
Communication. We lead the university in online education. The
department cooperates in interdepartmental programs in linguistics and
comparative literature at both graduate and undergraduate levels. The
department supports three scholarly journals (Conradiana, The Eighteenth
Century: Theory and Interpretation, and Technical Communication
Quarterly), and three literary journals (32 Poems, Harbinger, and Iron
Horse Literary Review) as well as the Digital Humanities Lab, LetterPress
Lab, Multiple Literacies Lab, and Usability Research Lab. We have hosted
several national conferences and will host the Western American Literature
Conference in November 2012. For more information, please visit
http://www.english.ttu.edu.

Texas Tech University is a growing state-supported institution, with a law
school and medical school and colleges of Arts and Sciences, Agriculture,
Architecture, Business Administration, Engineering, Human Sciences,
Mass Communications, and Visual and Performing Arts. The College of
Arts and Sciences represents 35% of the total enrollment of 32,000.

Candidates must apply online at the application URL below (#84370) with
letter of application and vita by January 15, 2012. Screening starts January
16. Letters of recommendation will be solicited later from exceptionally
qualified candidates. Please direct inquiries to John Zak, Associate Dean of
Arts & Sciences, at john.zak at ttu.edu.

Application Deadline: 15-Jan-2012

Web Address for Applications: http://jobs.texastech.edu/
Contact Information: