22.4858, Jobs: Mandarin; Comp Ling; Phonetics: Project Manager, Word of Mouth

Mon Dec 5 21:19:11 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4858. Mon Dec 05 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4858, Jobs: Mandarin; Comp Ling; Phonetics: Project Manager, Word of Mouth

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 05-Dec-2011
From: Kanon Tsukahara [DataOpsMan at gmail.com]
Subject: Mandarin Chinese; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Phonetics: Linguistic Project Manager, Word of Mouth, Beijing, China

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:18:46
From: Kanon Tsukahara [DataOpsMan at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4858.html&submissionid=4537226&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Word of Mouth
Job Location: Beijing, China
Job Rank: Linguistic Project Manager

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Asian Languages; Natural Language Processing

Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)

The Linguistic Project Manager will oversee and manage speech projects
for Beijing, China. The candidate will manage a team of Data Evaluators
and work on analyzing textnorm performance, overseeing
lexicon/phoneset, basic text decoding, and QA studio recordings.

This includes:
-  Assisting/mentoring Data Evaluators on the following tasks:
(i)  Semiotic classification/disambiguation work
(ii)  Phonetic transcription (to create new lexicon entries) using our
phoneset and our standards
(iii)  Proofreading script for voice talent, and editing for readability
-  Create verbalization rules, such as expanding URLs, email addresses,
numbers
-  Provide expertise on pronunciations
-  Annotate pronunciation for new lexicon entries after familiarizing
themselves with our phoneme set and transcription standards
-  Perform basic text normalization task on a huge amount of text data
-  Work with QA tools according to the guidelines

Job Requirements:
-  Native-level speaker of Mandarin - must have attended elementary
school in a region where specific dialect is spoken
-  Linguistic (phonetics) background helpful
-  Keen ear for phonetic nuances
-  Previous experience in managing external resources
-  Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts
-  Proficiency with key project management and tracking tools
-  Excellent oral and written communicator
-  Proficiency with HTML, Python, and experience building internal tools a
plus
-  Experience working with Voice Talents and recording studios
-  Studies in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics preferred

The candidate will work on-site at the Beijing Google office.

Project duration: 1 year (with potential for extension); available to start full
time in January, 2012.

Email Address for Applications: DataOpsMan at gmail.com
Contact Information:
	Kanon Tsukahara