22.5109, Diss: Morphology/Socioling: Hunt: 'The Impact of Nominal Anglicisms...'

Mon Dec 19 15:44:15 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-5109. Mon Dec 19 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.5109, Diss: Morphology/Socioling: Hunt: 'The Impact of Nominal Anglicisms...'

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Dec-2011
From: Jaime Hunt [jaime.hunt at newcastle.edu.au]
Subject: The Impact of Nominal Anglicisms on the Morphology of Modern Spoken German

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:43:34
From: Jaime Hunt [jaime.hunt at newcastle.edu.au]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-5109.html&submissionid=4537869&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Newcastle, Australia
Program: Doctor of Philosophy
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2011

Author: Jaime Hunt

Dissertation Title: The Impact of Nominal Anglicisms on the Morphology of
Modern Spoken German

Dissertation URL:  http://hdl.handle.net/1959.13/921483

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)
                     German (deu)

Dissertation Director(s):
Alan Libert
Mark Harvey

Dissertation Abstract:

This is a project in the field of language contact and evaluates the
influence of English on the German language. To my knowledge, it is the
first study to investigate the integration of anglicisms into spontaneous
spoken German. The purpose of the research is twofold. On the one hand, it
aims to contribute to the understanding of the mechanisms for gender and
plurality marking. On the other hand, by examining whether anglicisms
conform to the patterns of German grammar or, conversely, exert an
influence on German grammar, the study addresses the central
language-identity nexus in sociolinguistics. In other words, the
overarching question guiding the present investigation is whether English
is exerting a significant influence on German.