22.549, Jobs: Disc Analysis: Advertising/Marketing Copywriter, Quietroom Ltd

Tue Feb 1 15:54:37 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-549. Tue Feb 01 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.549, Jobs: Disc Analysis: Advertising/Marketing Copywriter, Quietroom Ltd

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 01-Feb-2011
From: Mark Scantlebury [mark at quietroom.co.uk]
Subject: Discourse Analysis: Advertising/Marketing Copywriter, Quietroom Ltd, Central London, United Kingdom

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:53:44
From: Mark Scantlebury [mark at quietroom.co.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-549.html&submissionid=4494055&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Quietroom Ltd
Job Location: Central London, United Kingdom
Web Address: http://www.quietroom.co.uk
Job Rank: Advertising/Marketing Copywriter

Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis

Quietroom is building a reputation for language expertise - in our world of
advertising, marketing and PR, that means we understand the impact words,
whether spoken or written have on people. Our backgrounds are in the Arts,
so our understanding of words has developed through doing what feels right
and then observing the effects. We've been very successful working this way
but we want to understand and learn more. This is an opportunity for you to
train as a copywriter and use your linguistic qualifications in a practical
and commercial environment.

As well as being a good Linguist you also need to be an excellent writer -
or to have the potential to become one.

About us:
The words we use affect the way people feel about us. We help large
companies use words to build better customer relationships.

We work with HMRC, HSBC, Prudential, PruHealth, AXA, Which?, HM Treasury,
Halifax, Scottish Widows, The Big Lottery Fund and Starbucks.

We help our clients use words to compete; for market share, for reputation,
for employees, for ownership of ideas, for profit, for new markets.

We teach people to write and also to speak, whether face-to-face or on the
phone. We write marketing copy, and sometimes we make videos. We develop
brand messaging and brand language.

We're often bought in to shake things up. We help our clients tell better
stories. We help companies talk to their customers when things go wrong.

We breathe life into corporate speak through narrative, metaphor and
resonant language.  We overhaul jargon and technical obfuscation. We
simplify things without making them simplistic.

We're looking for someone who's excited at the idea of being a part of this.

About you:
Working with us you'll get hands-on experience of all aspects of a
communications agency, working both on the creative side and on the project
and client management side. You could start the day alongside the Creative
Director, brainstorming with a client on a brief, before putting together a
budget with the Client Services Director - and you could spend the
afternoon writing some copy, before finishing the day by preparing
tomorrow's workshop.

We'll expect you to look for opportunities to take on responsibility, to
develop your skills and knowledge and to develop ours. You'll also do some
more mundane jobs around the office - but doing these well won't be a
thankless task.

You'll need to:
-  Have a flair for words and enjoy exploring and expressing ideas
-  Be happy jostling in a creative and collaborative environment
-  Have an active interest in advertising and branding
-  Be prepared to see a knotty problem through to the end
-  Be someone who is known for being well organised
-  Be quick to anticipate the needs of those around you.

You need to have a 1st or a 2:1 from a good university.

Salary: £18,000 - £22,000, depending on experience.
20 days annual holiday. Salary review within 3 months.

Application process:
1. Send an email to the email address below with a covering letter of no
longer than  250 words. Paste this and your CV into the body of the email
(don't worry about losing the formatting).
2. We'll ask some applicants to do an online writing test.
3. We'll then meet a small number of these applicants.

Closing date: ASAP
Start date: March 2011

If you're interested Quietroom, but have more experience than we are asking
for here, still send an email to the application email below, as there may
be other opportunities or ways we can work together.

Application Deadline: 20-Feb-2011 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: mark at quietroom.co.uk
Contact Information:
	Mark Scantlebury
	Email: mark at quietroom.co.uk