22.572, Sum: Velarisation/Pharyngealisation of Laterals

Wed Feb 2 22:21:11 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-572. Wed Feb 02 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.572, Sum: Velarisation/Pharyngealisation of Laterals

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Feb-2011
From: Daniela Müller [daniela.muller at univ-tlse2.fr]
Subject: Velarisation/Pharyngealisation of Laterals

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 17:15:33
From: Daniela Müller [daniela.muller at univ-tlse2.fr]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-572.html&submissionid=4494295&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Editor's note: This issue contains non-ISO-8859-1 characters.
To view the correct characters, go to http://linguistlist.org/issues/22/22-572.html.

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 22.85

About a month ago, I posted a query (LL 22.85) regarding instances of
/l/-velarisation, -uvularisation, or -pharyngealisation and subsequent
developments of those sounds outside of the Indo-European
languages. I'd like to thank Bonny Sands, Dmitry Ganenkov, Mark
Jones, Feda Al-Tamimi, Islam Youssef, Daniel L. Newman, and Georg
Boehm for sharing references, thoughts, and information with me.

Bonny Sands and Dmitry Ganenkov both pointed me to Caucasian
languages where lateral affricates and fricatives alternate or develop
into a variety of dorsally-articulated affricates which may or may not
have a lateral release. Starostin 2007, recommended by Dmitry
Ganenkov, is a book-length treatment of reconstructions of laterals in
all of the Caucasian languages.

The reverse process, namely acquisition of laterality by a variety of
dorsally-articulated affricates (pulmonic and ejective) and clicks, has
been observed by Bonny Sands in a 2007 study on Dahalo (Cushitic),
?Hoan (Ju-?Hoan), and ?Xegwi (!Ui).

Feda Al-Tamimi, Islam Youssef, Daniel Newman, and Georg Boehm all
pointed me to the emphatic (pharyngealised) lateral of Arabic which
seems to be (marginally) phonemic in at least some dialects such as
Jordanian or Iraqi Arabic.

Finally, Mark Jones offered some thoughts on the default pronunciation
of /l/, specifically as far as degree of velarisation is concerned. I will
discuss these questions in my thesis, together with their consequences
for the representation of the lateral(s), mostly in a gestural framework.

Daniela Müller
Universitat de Tolosa 2 - Lo Miralh & Ruprecht-Karls-Universität
Heidelberg