22.700, Jobs: Comp Semantics: Phd Position, U. of Groningen, Faculty of Arts

Thu Feb 10 20:58:37 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-700. Thu Feb 10 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.700, Jobs: Comp Semantics: Phd Position, U. of Groningen, Faculty of Arts

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Feb-2011
From: Wyke van der Meer [w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl]
Subject: Computational Semantics: Phd Position, University of Groningen, Faculty of Arts, Netherlands

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:56:36
From: Wyke van der Meer [w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-700.html&submissionid=4495780&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Groningen, Faculty of Arts
Department: Graduate School of the Humanities, CLCG
Job Location: , Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.rug.nl/gradschoolHumanities/index
Job Rank: PhD position

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Computational Semantics

PhD position Computational Semantics (1,0 fte) (211030)

Job description

The aim of the PhD project 'Robust Presupposition Projection' is to develop
automatic methods for the interpretation of presuppositional expressions in
open-domain texts, by combining techniques of machine learning with
knowledge-based inference approaches. It assumes the 'presupposition as
anaphora' theory, in which presuppositions either behave anaphorically
(bind to an previously introduced discourse entity) or else accommodate to
a suitable (global or local) level of discourse. This project is part of
the Meaning Annotation Project, which is concerned with the development of
a large-scale deep semantic annotation of text and its application of
machine learning methods. The PhD candidate will be supervised by Prof. J.
Bos.

Qualifications

. Master's degree in computational linguistics (or related field)
. excellent record of undergraduate and Master's level study
. experience in one or more of the following areas:
formal/lexical/computational semantics, machine learning
. programming experience
. ability to work in a research team
. strong motivation to complete a PhD dissertation in four years
. good command of English (TOEFL 620, IELTS 7,5, Cambridge Advanced
CAE).

How to apply:

For full advert details and for the application procedure go to:
http://www.rug.nl/gradschoolHumanities/admissions/phdPositions/PhDPositio
nComputationalSemantics2011

Application Deadline: 15-Mar-2011

Web Address for Applications: http://www.rug.nl/gradschoolHumanities/admissions/phdPositions/PhDPositionComputationalSemantics2011