22.747, Qs: Help with Hawaiian: Resources and Translation

Mon Feb 14 17:22:19 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-747. Mon Feb 14 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.747, Qs: Help with Hawaiian: Resources and Translation

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 11-Feb-2011
From: Ljuba Veselinova [ljuba at ling.su.se]
Subject: Help with Hawaiian: Resources and Translation

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:20:53
From: Ljuba Veselinova [ljuba at ling.su.se]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-747.html&submissionid=4496255&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Editor's note: This issue contains non-ISO-8859-1 characters.
To view the correct characters, go to http://linguistlist.org/issues/22/22-747.html.

Dear All,

I need help with Hawaiian: locating literature and also someone who
can help me translate some 100 sentences.

I am working on negative existentials and their possible evolution
into markers of standard negation. In Kahananui and Anthony (1975), I
found the examples shown in (1) below:

(1)
a.
'a'ohe  o       l?kou   hana
NEG.EX  POSS    3.PL    work
'they didn't work'
(Kahananui and Anthony, 1975: 372)

b.
'a'ohe   ?       l?kou   hana
NEG.EX   POSS    3.PL    work
'they had no work'
(Kahananui and Anthony, 1975: 372)

c.
'a'ohe   o'u        'ike/lohe    au   i?    ia
NEG.EX   1.SG.POSS   see/hear    I    OBJ   3SG
'I can't see/hear him/her', (Kahananui and Anthony, 1975: 346)

I am wondering about the following:
--how common is it to use possessive constructions to indicate
completeness of action?
--is there a preferred negator for these constructions?

I have read Wilson (1976) as well as Chung (1973) and Chung and
Seiter (1980). However, since these constructions are obviously a
huge issue in Polynesian linguistics, there must be more recent
sources on them that I must have missed. As already mentioned, my
interest lies in their use to indicate completed actions/states and the
way they are negated for these uses; I haven't been able to locate any
literature on this so any pointers will be greatly appreciated. I asked
Ph.D. students at the the University of Hawaii but they said there isn't
much written on this issue so I'm now trying exhaust all possible
sources.

My other sources for Hawaiian have been Hawkins (1982) and Schütz,
Albert J., Kah?ho'omahu Kanada, Gary N., and Cook, Kenneth W.
(2005).

As I said above, I am looking for help with rough translation of Hawaiian
examples. Martyn Harris helped me with text compilation and
concordances last summer. The texts come from newspapers in
Hawaiian from 1864 as well as from modern blogs. I have located
constructions like the ones in (1) in these texts but I am highly insecure
of my translation. They amount to 96 examples; I need someone who
knows Hawaiian well enough to tell me if I am deciphering the
constructions right or not.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

My best wishes,
Ljuba