22.93, Jobs: English & Comp Ling, Lexicography: Manager, WebFinance, Inc., USA

Thu Jan 6 16:04:29 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-93. Thu Jan 06 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.93, Jobs: English & Comp Ling, Lexicography: Manager, WebFinance, Inc., USA

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erica Wicks <erica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Jan-2011
From: Rick Jarrell [rick at investorguide.com]
Subject: English & Computational Linguistics, Lexicography: Manager, WebFinance, Inc., VA, USA

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:01:25
From: Rick Jarrell [rick at investorguide.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-93.html&submissionid=3798095&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: WebFinance, Inc.
Department: Online Glossaries
Job Location: Virginia, USA
Web Address: http://www.businessdictionary.com
Job Rank: Manager

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Lexicography

Required Language(s): English (eng)

WebFinance, Inc. has a world-class career opportunity with an entrepreneurial
environment for an individual who has a strong desire to help plan and
implement the future strategy of the company and its family of glossary
websites, including BusinessDictionary.com and InvestorWords.com. You'll
be part of a profitable, fast-growing company where ideas matter with an
accomplished, driven team of technology and business experts who thrive on
performance and results in a collaborative environment.

Responsibilities:
Are you a linguist or lexicographer with a passion for words who would like
the opportunity to improve and manage a portfolio of over 30 leading online
glossaries with a community of over 5 million active users?  Can you identify
needs and develop them into actionable ideas/concepts that can be
transformed into successful online products and services? Do you want to
see your projects and ideas grow directly? This career opportunity is
designed for a motivated and hardworking individual who possesses creativity
and innovation to implement content and tools aimed at creating a best in
class dictionary experience.  The Lexicographer/Linguist leads and manages
the development and implementation of the glossary content strategies
designed to grow and advance both the quality and profitability of our online
offerings.

Ideal Candidate Qualities:

In addition to exceptional verbal/written communication skills, our
qualifications include:
-  BA/BS degree preferred with strong academic record from accredited
University
-  A concentration in Computational/General Lexicography,
Computational/General Linguistics, or a closely related field is ideal
-  Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects in a fast-paced environment
-  Familiar with the web based glossary industry and computational
lexicography or linguistics
-  Ability to construct new, ground-breaking ideas in the field of online
glossaries and beyond
-  A background in business/business strategy is a plus but not required
-  Ability to think strategically about the impact that glossary content
development has on the online business model, including, but not limited to,
SEO best practices, user experience, quantitative and qualitative analysis
-  A working knowledge of relational database systems is preferred but not
required
-  Ability to maintain continuing awareness of recent advances in
computational lexicography or linguistics
-  Experience with corpus mining/development and online content
management are highly desirable
-  Ability to manage a project's team and resources so that it is completed in
the most effective and timely manner possible
-  Fluent English speaker

About WebFinance Inc:
Founded in 1996 and based in Fairfax, Virginia, WebFinance Inc. is an
established Internet company which designs and builds a family of
educational content websites, such as InvestorGuide.com,
BusinessDictionary.com, InvestorWords.com, and a collection of 30 niche-
specific glossaries. Our goal is to provide free educational content to help
individuals improve their knowledge and achieve their educational goals.

Compensation and Benefits:
We offer a competitive performance-based compensation package
commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance,
semi-annual performance-based bonuses, and paid vacations/holidays. Our
team environment stretches beyond the workplace with frequent team outings
and post-work activities, including a recent trip to Dave & Busters.

Application Deadline: 31-Dec-2011

Email Address for Applications: careers at investorguide.com
Contact Information:
	Rick Jarrell