22.408, Qs: Semantics: Verbs as Motion Events

Mon Jan 24 00:47:46 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-408. Sun Jan 23 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.408, Qs: Semantics: Verbs as Motion Events

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Jan-2011
From: Neda Azkia [n_azkia at yahoo.com]
Subject: Semantics: Verbs as Motion Events

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:43:53
From: Neda Azkia [n_azkia at yahoo.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-408.html&submissionid=4491915&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am Ph.D. student of linguistics and my thesis is focused on "Motion in
Persian". I am compiling my data now, but the problem is the exact
criteria of choosing the motion events. And the other question is on the
conflation of concepts.

For example the verb 'blow' is for 'wind,' so we can say that the figure
concept 'wind' has been conflated in this verb. However, I have seen
that in some theses they consider this verb to be a conflation of motion
and cause.

1. What are the criteria of choosing a verb as a motion event? I've read
Talmy's definition but I couldn't find the borderline in between. For
example some say that 'rain' is not a motion event but Talmy considers
it as a motion verb.

2. Paula Ferez considered the verb 'blow' with conflation of motion and
cause. But the question is the conflation of figure (wind) in this surface
element? Don't you think that the figure is conflated in this expression?

If anyone can point me towards sources with describing the criteria of
choosing motion events and/or information on the conflation of
concepts, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,
Neda

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics