22.415, Disc: Reply to Sum 14.1954 - Meillet 1903

Mon Jan 24 15:32:55 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-415. Mon Jan 24 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.415, Disc: Reply to Sum 14.1954 - Meillet 1903

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 21-Jan-2011
From: John Nerbone [j.nerbonne at rug.nl]
Subject: Reply to Sum 14.1954 - Meillet 1903

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:30:32
From: John Nerbone [j.nerbonne at rug.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-415.html&submissionid=4492316&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Laurie Bauer LINGUIST List 14.1954 (2003) reported reactions to an earlier
query asking readers to confirm that Meillet 1903 was indeed the/a source
of the famous phrase that language was 'un systême oû tout se tient', as
some of responses to her query maintained.  (Her library didn't have the
early edition.) This edition is now online (in Google books), and the
attribution is correct.

http://ia700204.us.archive.org/7/items/introductionalt00meilgoog/introductionalt00meilgoog_djvu.txt

Thanks to my co-author, Martijn Wieling, who wasn't satisfied with the
vague attribution I used in an earlier version of a paper.  He found the
passage in Google books.

John Nerbonne

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     History of Linguistics

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/