22.419, Diss: Phonology: Keller: 'O papel da sonoridade no mapeamento de ...'

Mon Jan 24 15:47:47 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-419. Mon Jan 24 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.419, Diss: Phonology: Keller: 'O papel da sonoridade no mapeamento de ...'

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Mfon Udoinyang <mfon at linguistlist.org>

Date: 24-Jan-2011
From: Tatiana Keller [kellertatiana at yahoo.com]
Subject: O papel da sonoridade no mapeamento de sequencias consonantais

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:46:18
From: Tatiana Keller [kellertatiana at yahoo.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-419.html&submissionid=4492716&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: Pontificia Universidade Católica do Rio Gande do Sul
Program: Applied Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2010

Author: Tatiana Keller

Dissertation Title: O papel da sonoridade no mapeamento de sequencias
consonantais

Dissertation URL:  http://tede.pucrs.br/tde_busca/arquivo.php?codArquivo=2834

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology

Subject Language(s): Portuguese (por)

Dissertation Director(s):
Leda Bisol
Gisela Collischonn

Dissertation Abstract:

In this research, we analyze, in light of Optimality Theory, the role of
constraints that make reference to the sonority distance between segments
in the mapping of tauto and heterosyllabic consonantal clusters in
Brazilian Portuguese. For that, we use a sonority hierarchy in which the
sonority degree of non-sibilant obstruents equals 0, sibilant obstruents 1,
nasals 2, liquids 3, glides 4 and vowels 5. Thus, consonantal clusters in
the same syllable are well-formed, or faithful to the input when the
sonority distance is +3; for instance, the sonority rises from 0 to 3 in
the sequences 'pr' and 'bl' in words like prato 'dish' and blusa 'blouse'
(p= 0 and r= 3, b= 0 and l =3). In clusters with a sonority distance lesser
than +3, such as sp in words such as 'sports' (s=1 and p=0; and pt in words
such as 'ptose' and 'ptosis' (p=0 and t=0), there is a vowel before the
sibilant or between the consonants, [i]sport e p[i]tose. While
heterosyllabic consonantal clusters whose sonority distance falls - [j.t]
jeito 'way' (-4), [r.t] parte 'part' (-3), [l.d] saldo 'balance' (-3),
[n.t] santo 'saint' (-2), [s.p] caspa 'dandruff' (-1) - are faithful to the
input, clusters with plateau or rising sonority distance - ritmo 'rhythm'
(0), [p.s] opção 'option' (+1), [p.n] apneia 'apnea' (+2) - are broken by
an epenthetic vowel, rit[i]mo, op[i]ção, ap[i]neia.

In this analysis, we propose two constraint hierarchies in order to
regulate the sonority distance between segments within a complex onset and
in adjacent syllables: *ONS DIST and *DIST, respectively. We argue that the
interaction among these constraints and faithfulness constraints -
OUTPUT-CONTIGUITY (no internal epenthesis), DEP (no epenthesis) e MAX (no
deletion) (McCarthy & Prince, 1995) - is responsible for the faithful
mapping of the consonantal clusters and for the occurrence of vocalic
epenthesis. Furthermore, we argue that the epenthesis site depends on the
interaction between OUTPUT-CONTIGUITY and *DIST.